Western Region Executive Assistant (Executive Support Specialist 2)
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality strives to build and sustain an inclusive environment that embraces and values diversity. Employees at all levels of the agency work together to foster fairness, equity, inclusion, and belonging. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, veteran, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or physical or mental disability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may not meet every one of our listed preferred qualifications. Lived experience may count towards the preferred qualification. If you are excited about this position, we encourage you to apply. If you are unsure as to whether or not you meet the qualifications of this position, please contact us to discuss your application.
Are you passionate about preserving, enhancing, and protecting Oregon’s environment? If so, please consider a career with the State of Oregon at the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). At DEQ, employees have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and supportive team of mission-focused individuals tasked with maintaining, restoring, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, land, and water. Here is a video about DEQ: https://youtu.be/iP3K7JoLe1k
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality has a full-time opportunity for a Western Region Executive Assistant (Executive Support Specialist 2) in Eugene, Oregon.
Please consider joining an innovative team, and work to advance our agency’s mission to protect and improve Oregon’s environmental quality. There are 3 regions (Northwest, Western, and Eastern); this position is in Western Region. The Regions provide the following services: compliance inspections of regulated entities; enforcement of permit requirements and administrative rules; issuance of air, water, and solid waste permits; investigation of complaints; issuance of subsurface permits in counties; response to spills or other incidents with environmental impacts; direct contact and liaison with other governmental entities, industries, and the public; and technical assistance to regulated entities and the public. Click here to view a map of all of the DEQ offices.
What you will do!
You will provide confidential administrative support to the Western Region Administrator. You will perform or coordinate administrative and secretarial work for the Western Region Administrator and regional program managers, including special projects, administrative research, liaison activities, establishment of management and administrative procedures, response to public requests for information, and meeting/conference planning. You will also assist with on-boarding new employees.
What’s in it for you!
The opportunity to work in a productive and creative environment where no two days are ever the same! We offer a competitive benefits package that offers comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans for the employee and their qualified family members, as well as paid sick leave, vacation leave, personal leave, and 10 paid holidays a year. In addition, we offer membership in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), and you have the opportunity to potentially receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). If you are passionate about Oregon's environment, apply today!
This is a full-time, AFSCME represented position.
This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
What are we looking for?
Minimum Qualifications: One year of experience performing administrative duties in support of agency/organization projects or programs. Qualifying experience could involve data collection and analysis; project evaluation and/or analysis; interpretation and application of laws, rules, and regulations; or similar experience
Candidates who are most competitive will also reflect the following:
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with an ability to switch priorities or projects seamlessly.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; experience composing, formatting, and editing with appropriate grammar and punctuation.
- Advanced skill and proficiency using Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- High aptitude for learning new things and an ability to pay attention to detail.
- Experience explaining or interpreting laws, rules, policies, and procedures both verbally and in writing.
- Experience providing confidential administrative support, including handling confidential and/or legal documents and maintaining a calendar for a high level management position of an organization, company, board, commission, or agency.
- Demonstrated ability to respectfully navigate conflict and competing priorities from different parts of the agency.
- Experience resolving problems and making judgments and decisions that may be precedent setting with long range effects.
- Experience coordinating office procedures, including assigning and reassigning tasks, giving directions to workers, reviewing work of employees, and orienting new employees; experience planning and coordinating meetings, including preparing agendas and taking minutes.
Most work is performed in a professional office setting. There will be occasional trips to attend conferences, seminars, and hearings, as well as to visit regional offices.
How to Apply: (complete the application in full)
- External Applicants Click on the “Apply” button and submit your application. Click this link for the External Candidate job aid, and view this video for additional information.
- Internal Applicants (current State of Oregon employees): Apply through your employee Workday account. View this job aid for assistance.
- Be sure to attach a resume and cover letter.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to complete and submit the application, resume, and cover letter.
- Workday will timeout after 15 minutes of inactivity.
- This posting closes at 11:59 PM on the close date listed.
- Please save a copy of the job announcement for your reference, as it may not be available for you to view after the job posting closes.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- Workday performs best in Google Chrome.
- Click here for Resources and a Job Support Page.
Please Note: In addition to your related work experience and education, DEQ will use the desired attributes and minimum qualifications above, under the “What are we looking for?” section to determine whom to interview. Please make sure your attributes and minimum qualifications are clearly demonstrated in your application material.
COVID-19 Vaccination Information:
The State of Oregon requires all executive branch employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Successful candidates for this position must submit vaccination documentation or be approved for an exception prior to their first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of full vaccination or receipt of an approved exception will lead to withdrawal of the job offer. For more information, visit our policy listed here.
DEQ provides veterans’ preference points to all eligible veterans. For more information on veterans’ preference, please visit Veterans Resources, or call the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs at: 1-800-692-9666. For privacy reasons, please do not attach veterans’ preference documents when initially applying. You will be asked to submit those at a later time.
As an employer, the State of Oregon complies with HB 2005, the Pay Equity Bill. We do not discriminate on the basis of protected class in the payment of wages, and we do not screen applicants on the basis of their current or past compensation. Please visit http://www.oregon.gov/das/hr/pages/equity.aspx for more information. Please note: the salary listed is the non-PERS qualifying salary range. If the successful candidate is PERS qualifying, the salary range will reflect an additional 6.95% (6% goes to PERS and .95% covers payroll taxes). Please review the Classification and Compensation page for more details.
DEQ does not offer visa sponsorships. On the first day of employment, all hires will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States. In addition, hires will have three business days from their first day of employment to present documents that establish employment authorization and identity.
If you have questions about the recruitment or need assistance to participate in the application process, please contact Jack Duncan, Human Resources Analyst, at email@example.com or (503) 229-5021. TTY users: please use the Oregon Telecommunications Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.