Research & Development Intern with LusOasis
LusOasis’ Internship Job Description
Company Name: LusOasis Inc.
Company Website: www.lusoasis.com
Company Description: Americans spend $3.5 billion yearly on medical bills, and most diseases can be prevented by clean colon and simply eating consciously. Our company, LusOasis [lʌs ō-'āsis], exists to create naturally nutritious and delicious vegan foods for ANYONE who desires to experience the power of eating consciously & to enjoy the holistic wellbeing benefit of cleansing and energizing your body and mind.
LusOasis is the world’s 1st company to create vegan foods with complete nutrition, sufficient protein, high digestibility, and naturally delicious flavors from foods within. LusOasis also dares to be the 1st company who insists on eliminating refined sugar or ANY sweeteners in our foods.
LusOasis has launched 1st offerings of fun vegan breakfast on Amazon, and is developing various novel prototypes with proprietary and intellectual properties, from energy-boosting, digestion-improving, detoxifying products, to ultimate solutions to meet complete protein profiling requirements and wholesome fresh vegan meal packs.
LusOasis is a B2C platform company, and would gain consumers through e-commerce, social media campaigns, and publishing “Conscious Eating” book and podcasts to form a community of avid and loyal key influencers. In 5-10 years, LusOasis aims to become a vegan food leader and occupies 30-50% US market share, which is $5 billion in 2020 and at 11% CAGR.
Internship Title: Research & Development Intern
Number of internship positions currently available: 1
Internship Description: Research the landscaping and market trend of the new plant-based food products, assist patent search and writing, assist experimenting the ingredient functionality and product formulations, assist production in Hatchery commercial kitchen, assist food safety assessment and process development.
Internship Objectives: The intern will gain valuable food industry experience and skills in business strategy, research & development, logistics, and operation. Depending on the success of the intern, this internship could potentially lead to a permanent position with LusOasis Inc.
· Be over the age of 18
· Have ServSafe Food Handler Certificate (or be willing to obtain prior to start date)
· Enrolled in Bachelor’s degree in the food science related subject, MS preferred
· Interest/passion in the food & beverage industry especially plant-based foods
· Good knowledge base of food science and food safety
· Experience with literature research, food science experiment, culinary skills
· Comfortable with commercial kitchen working environment for food production
· Creative mindset and quick learner of new food R&D skills
· Exceptional organizational skills and ability to multitask efficiently
· Effective written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to function effectively in an intimate, entrepreneurial business environment
· Complete a 2-4 hour stage (aka trial run)
· Slip resistant shoes when working in the kitchen
· Vaccinated against Covid-19 (company policy)
· Personal computer is required for research work.
· Trips to Chicago Hatchery will be required.
· Access to a car would be most convenient to accommodate kitchen working schedule.
Through ICNC/The Hatchery’s PepsiCo Grant, interns are allowed to work a maximum of 150 hours at $15/hour for a total of $2,250 – this cost is covered and paid for by this grant.
· Interns will submit their time sheet on a biweekly schedule and their internship stipend will also be given to them on a biweekly schedule.
· Interns are considered independent contractors and they will need to complete a W9 Form; please note, no taxes are taken out of your stipend check.
Anticipated Start Date: 2/1/20212
Anticipated End Date: 5/31/2022
Number of Hours per Week: 10 - 20
Days and Hours: Flexible – 5 to 8 hours per shift if doing R&D at The Hatchery; the rest of the time the work will be remote
Work Location: At your computer wherever suitable except on days you need to come to The Hatchery (135 N. Kedzie Ave. Chicago, IL 60612)
Will there be an opportunity for Full-Time employment after graduation?
Yes! We’re a startup and are hungry for talents in product development, marketing, e-commerce, and customer development.