JC-273983: Research Data Analyst II
This position is eligible for full-time telework under Government Code 14200 for eligible applicants residing in California.
Under general supervision of the Staff Services Manager I in the Human Resources Branch, the incumbent provides enterprise-wide workforce planning data, tools, and services. This highly visible program partners with senior and executive level leaders to identify the organization’s workforce planning needs and aligns resources to support the needs. The HRB Research Analyst is responsible for planning, organizing, and conducting studies in a variety of areas, which affect programs or system development. The incumbent is responsible for best practice research, performing quantitative and qualitative data-driven research and statistical analysis, developing innovative strategies and tactics in support of strategic objectives, business plan initiatives, and the HCD Workforce and Succession Plan.
- Ability to reason logically and use analytical techniques to solve moderate to difficult personnel problems relating to HR data and workforce planning
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing
- Ability to produce high quality multimedia products, such as reports, presentations, and job aids
- Ability to express ideas and present information clearly and logically both verbally and in writing
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
- Act as lead researcher to independently propose, design, and conduct complex research studies using quantitative and qualitative research methodologies and techniques related to workforce planning efforts and in response to repeated and necessary position and employee data requests; collaborate and coordinate with various data sources including, but not limited to, HCD Human Resources systems and other data resources including, but not limited to, PeopleSoft Human Capital Management (HCM), State Controller’s Office Management Information Retrieval System (MIRS), CalHR’s Exam Certification Online System (ECOS), and People Soft Learning Management System (LMS) to gather workforce data and information; work effectively with multiple stakeholders to access, extract, understand, and compile data; use Microsoft Excel on large data sets to create complex formulas, pivot tables, and data connections to compile, analyze, validate, develop, and visualize workforce metrics and analytics for workforce planning analysis. Identify, interpret, calculate, and address anomalies, trends, predictive analytics, thresholds, and baselines related, but not limited, to employee turnover, vacancy rates, retirement risk, time-to-hire, and a variety of enterprise demographic and risk assessment data; research, gather, evaluate, and monitor internal and external benchmarking, best practices, and industry comparison research related to workforce metrics; develop conclusions and propose a plan of action based on findings and provide operational and/or policy analysis in order to inform, educate, and propose recommendations to senior and executive management regarding potential labor risks and gaps at all levels of the organization; create clear and concise written documents such as a research report, business case, executive summary, or issue memo which may include slide presentations, graphs and/or charts to communicate findings, data distributions, and relationships between variables.
- Develop, implement, and maintain workforce and succession planning data. Develop policies, procedures, systems, and tools associated with workforce data collection and analysis; independently research, track and report labor market data regarding retirement trends, workforce generational and occupational demographics, and best practices in workforce planning; act as system administrator for the Workforce and Succession Planning Dashboard and assume responsibility for organizing and planning all system enhancements, defects, and updates to process documentation; make recommendations and provide expertise consultation to executives in order for them to develop multi-dimensional workforce strategies and action plans.
- Collaborate with the PeopleSoft HCM System Administrator on data reports in an effort to maintain the integrity of the information housed in PeopleSoft. Acts as a subject matter (SME) expert in various reports writing in order to analyze available information to improve processes. Participate in data validation efforts to ensure consistency, accuracy, and data integrity; serve as a SME for questions and consultation for data products, answering questions about methodology, data limitations, usability, and strategy.
- Work with management to identify project goals and objectives; develop data collection protocols and analysis methods for conclusions and recommendations. Participate on cross-functional project teams in support of HRSD business needs. Provide support to management data collection and analysis of workforce development programs and initiatives. Other duties as required.