Data Scientist - Internship
Two Sigma is a financial sciences company, combining data analysis, invention, and rigorous inquiry to help solve the toughest challenges in investment management, insurance technology, securities, private equity, and venture capital.
Our team of scientists, technologists, and academics looks beyond the traditional to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most complex economic problems.
When you work with us, you tackle tough problems alongside other scientists and engineers. People who will challenge your ideas. Who you can really learn from, and collaborate with. And you’ll be doing work that matters to a lot of people, too. Our investors include some of the world’s largest retirement funds, research institutions, educational endowments, healthcare systems and foundations. We admire what they do, and we’re proud to serve these organizations.
The internship program lasts 10 weeks in the summer and takes place at our Soho-based, New York City office. You will partner with an assigned mentor and work on a single project during the course of your time here, which will culminate in a final presentation at the conclusion of the program.
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Independently research and develop hypotheses based on diverse and unique real-world datasets
- Conduct literature reviews to develop and apply cutting-edge methodologies for extracting real-world signals from our vast data holdings.
- Partner with our engineers and business stakeholders to rigorously explore and test your theories
- All the while, you’ll remain engaged in the academic community. As examples, you can:
- Join our reading circles to stay up to date on the latest research papers in your fields
- Attend academic seminars to learn from thought leaders from top universities
You should possess the following qualifications:
- Are pursuing a degree in a technical or quantitative discipline, like chemistry, computer science, economics, statistics, or quantitative social science, with approximately one year remaining in your programs (all levels welcome, from bachelor’s to doctorate)
- Proficient in Python and SQL
- Performed an in-depth research project, examining real-world data
- Are an independent thinker who can creatively approach data analysis and communicate complex ideas clearly
- You don’t need a background in finance. It’s nice to have, but more than half of Two Sigma’s employees come from outside the finance industry. If you’ve got the research skills, we can teach you the financial aspects of the job.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.