Civil Engineering Student Trainee
The Civil Engineering Student Trainee:
- Develops competencies to assist FHWA Civil Engineers.
- Identifies stakeholder needs for improving roadway and bridge programs; crafting those needs into research ideas; ensures that FHWA research is meeting stakeholder needs; prepares technical materials for print and FHWA websites; prepares and gives technical presentations, and conveys program activities to stakeholders.
- Contributes to staff research utilizing engineering principles, experimentation, and/or advanced computer modeling to solve highway infrastructure problems.
- Contributes to the development, and supports the execution, of office and FHWA strategic plans and goals.
- Regularly interacts with a range of stakeholder groups both within the FHWA and outside, including State highway agencies, the Transportation Research Board (TRB) and its National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP), and the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), academia, industry, and trade associations.
The ideal candidate for this position would understand data integration and data management processes and enjoys working with highway stakeholders to transform the highway construction industry into one that breaks down silos and liberates data for all to use.