Calibration Engineering Intern - SMS
Job ID: 5578
Space Dynamics Laboratory (SDL) has been developing innovative technologies and solutions for cutting-edge DoD and intelligence programs for over six decades.
SDL’s internship program provides an exciting opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to get involved with state-of-the art technologies in space-, airborne-, and ground-based systems. With the support of engineers and mentors, interns are able to work on professional-level assignments that complement their academic studies. The program also includes training workshops, networking opportunities, and a variety of summer events and activities.
The Strategic and Military Space Division is looking for an exceptional student calibration engineer for a summer internship. Interns will be tasked with varying duties based on current projects, needed support, and development phase. This position will largely support high temperature materials characterization efforts with an emphasis on instrument design, test, and operation.
Other potential duties may include:
- Optical alignment
- Quantitative chemical analysis
- Vacuum system maintenance and operation
- Materials process validation
- Space hardware thermal vacuum test support
- Data analysis and report generation
- Possess familiarity with one or more of the following areas: Experimental laboratory experience, optical alignment, chemical analysis, material process, thermal vacuum test support
- Data processing experience with common software tools (Excel, Matlab, etc.)
- Able to work effectively both independently and as a team member
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be a US citizen
Let us know in your application materials if you possess the following qualifications:
- Laser systems experience
- Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy experience
- Experience with high vacuum equipment and best practices
- Experience with residual gas analyzers (mass spec.)
- Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science, or related laboratory field
- Junior, senior, or graduate student
- 3.0 GPA minimum is required
Intern Hiring Period
Oct 1, 2021 – Dec 17, 2021
- Interviews can occur any time within the hiring period, so we encourage you to complete and submit your application as early as possible.
- Our goal is to notify all applicants of their status by January 31, 2022.
SDL supports a variety of missions, including NASA’s vision to reveal the unknown for the benefit of humankind and the Department of Defense’s aim to protect our Nation on the ground, in the air, and in space. Our sensors, satellites, software systems, and science and engineering play an essential role in some important missions you’ve heard of, and others that you haven’t. Join our team in our seventh decade of delivering mission success.
EOE including Disability and Vet