Intern - Network Engineer - Summer 2022, CO or Remote (US)
Lumen’s US Internship Program is a path for career readiness in the 4th Industrial Revolution.
Be a part of an internship program, driving human progress through technology. During a 10- week period our summer interns innovate and make an impact by transforming industries across the globe and changing the world one connection at a time. Our interns are presented with real business challenges and provide solutions that make a difference across all areas of the company, all while learning the skills needed to successfully navigate the modern workplace.
- Innovate – to deliver solutions to real business problems
- Transform – your skills and knowledge through challenging work projects
- Connect – to our company and culture creating valuable connections with your intern peers, work team and leaders across the organization.
- Impact – through Community & Social Involvement – collaborate with our ERGs to give back and make an impact in the communities Lumen serves.
The Main Responsibilities
As a Network Engineer in our Strategic Planning and Transformation organization, you will work in as part of our Hybrid Cloud Operations team. This role is responsible for company-wide support of Lumen’s network and infrastructure. The intern candidate should have interest in project-based work focused on IT networking, data center and network support.
- Responsible for operation, maintenance and monitoring of network hardware and related control software providing a variety of customer services.
- Understands all network technologies, designs and product offerings. Troubleshoots and analyzes complex network designs/issues and provides short/long term resolution plans.
- Provides technical feedback to engineering concerning design/product changes/enhancements. Performs the responsibilities under a high pressure, short timeline environment, which includes managing and responding to client escalations.
- Gathers and updates necessary information and communicates to appropriate parties
- Anticipates, prevents, and eliminates problems and creates efficient fixes.
- Interacts with internal and external peers and managers to exchange complex information related to areas of specialization.
- Cisco Catalyst and Nexus switching
- Cisco ISR and ASR routing
- Juniper MX routing
- Juniper EX switching and routing
- Aruba Wi-Fi
- OSPF, BGP, and MPLS
- Cisco VDC, vPC, EC, VRF-lite Juniper VPLS, AE, VRF, routing-instance
- 802.1q trunking
What We Look For in a Candidate
o Enrolled at a 4-year accredited college or university, rising senior or master’s level education status at the start of the internship, graduating August 2022 – June 2023. In pursuit of degree in Computer Science, Network Engineering, Computer Information Systems, or similar technical degree.
o Strong drive for results and taking initiative
o Resourceful and adaptable
o Collaborative and have agility while making effective decisions
o Strong written and verbal communication skills
o Ability to interact with business partners and drive the conversation.
o Flexible and adapts well to change
o The position will be in one of the following offices: Broomfield or Littleton -CO or will consider work from home/remote.
o Intern must be able to work 30-40 hours be week during the 10-week program (June 3– August 12, 2022)
o Intern must have reliable transportation to/from work location, if in an office location (Lumen does not provide transportation to/from Lumen office locations)
o US work authorization required
What to Expect Next
After completion and submission of your application, you will be asked to participate in a virtual video interview. This on demand interview will be a way for Lumen to learn more about you and your experience as it aligns to the internship position. A separate email invitation will be sent to you (check your spam) within 6 hours of application. For continued consideration in the summer internship program, please ensure you complete the video interview within 5 business days of application. Thank you!