Conference Services Student Coordinator
Position Title: Conference Services Student Coordinator
Department: Conference Services and Camps
Supervisor: Nancy Chapman
Position Duration: October 1 - December 12, 2021
Date Created: September 15, 2021
Albion College Conference Services welcomes over 4000 guests to campus annually. Our mission is to provide exemplary customer service to the Colleges internal and external customers. This is achieved through attention to detail, professionalism, maintaining high standards, and exceeding customers’ expectations of engagement of all who attend Albion College events and programs on and off campus.
General Duties (all levels)
- Goodwill Ambassador for Albion College
- Evening and weekend hours required
- Communicate efficiently with campus stakeholders, alumni, and external guests
- Answer questions and provide direction if needed
- Complete miscellaneous tasks as directed by your supervisor or other staff
- Ensure that all campus guests have an excellent experience
- Become familiar with all the areas of campus
- Become familiar with each job position
As the employee develops knowledge of the various tasks and shows exemplary leadership skills, he/she will become eligible for a promotion and added responsibilities. The promotion would involve monitoring employee activity and activities in the various facilities.
Job Specific Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
- Foster clear and constructive communication between campus stakeholders and guests to ensure that service capabilities and guest expectations are consistent and met.
- Develop online registration, website content, and marketing materials.
- Act as a resource person to all conference event participants.
- Perform and execute event specifications including the scheduling and monitoring of all logistical and support service arrangements (catering,facilities, registration, etc.).
Career Readiness Competencies and Transferable Skills
Students will be able to demonstrate the following Career Readiness Competencies (NACE Career readiness Competencies) through:
- Demonstrate critical thinking/problem solving - Students will be able to demonstrate energy and desire to achieve and ability to take action that no one has requested to improve or enhance job results and avoid problems
- Oral/written communications - students will be responsible for eloquently communicating with campus guests to address any questions they may have and relay proper information about Albion College. Additionally, they will have the ability to write precise, well-organized emails, letters and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary and grammar.
- Teamwork/collaboration- Willingness to facilitate open and effective communication, cooperation and teamwork within and outside of one's own team
- Digital technology -Students will use various software programs for communication, event registration and on-site needs.
- Leadership- Every event student is a leader here on campus. Particularly they are in a leadership role when creating and leading a service culture among team members and a department goal of exceeding client expectations. Professionalism/work ethic-maintaining and following a work schedule and demonstrating commitment to work
- Global/intercultural fluency -students will interact with guests from all over the country and potentially the world. They will be exposed to individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds and can learn to better communicate and connect with people that are from different walks of life.
General Expectations & skills to be successful in this position:
- Have and maintain a professional, trustworthy and punctual demeanor at all times
- Exemplary customer service skills
- An interest and willingness to serve and assist all populations
- Offer a welcoming, helpful, and attentive attitude at all times
- Excellent organizational skills
- Knowledge of campus property
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and time management skills
- Ability to work directly with clients and campus organizations to exceed expectations
- Must be able to work both indoors and outdoors, including standard office condition. The employee may be required to stand for up to six (6) hours per day, walk, climb stairs, bend, reach, and lift and transport a minimum of 25 pounds
- Employee must be physically and mentally capable of performing multiple tasks under extended heavy pressure and to function in a fast-paced environment.
- Employee must be able to withstand varying temperatures.
- Follow summer employee testing protocols
Learning Outcome Assessment:
- With the supervisor, Employees will complete the Student Employee Performance Evaluation midway through the semester and at the end of the semester
- Approximately 1-2 weeks
- Supervisor and/or Student Supervisor
- To apply, submit your resume using the Handshake system at albion.edu/handshake
- Questions can be sent to Nancy Chapmannchapman@albion.edu
Please note, once you are offered a position you must first go to the Albion College Career and Internship Center website
https://www.albion.edu/academics/career-and-internship-center/student-employment/forms to print off the necessary forms for employment.
Student employees must complete tax forms (W-4 Withholding Allowance Certificates) and proof of work eligibility (I-9) before beginning work as an Albion College Student Employee.
Completed forms must be delivered in person (bringing the required documentation) to the Human Resources Office which is located in 225 Ferguson. All forms should be completed in ink, not pencil and students should use their permanent address on all forms unless the permanent address is an international address.