Teaching Resident - Elementary Special Education
Launch an Impactful Career in Teaching
NYU Steinhardt, in partnership with charter networks across New York City, is seeking talented, committed, and diverse prospective elementary special education teachers to participate in an immersive, leading-edge teacher preparation program, the NYU Teacher Residency. In just one year, residency participants earn a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) taught by the world-renowned Steinhardt faculty, while simultaneously gaining real-world classroom experience.
Upon successful completion of the program, eligible participants often receive preferential hiring in their placement schools or networks as full-time teachers, and make a commitment to teach for at least two years additional years.
Why Apply? You’ll acquire valuable classroom experience in an elementary school as you study to become a certified childhood special education teacher. Program features include:
- Our Inclusive Childhood residency partners pay yearly stipends ranging from $25,000 - $50,000
- Innovative curriculum developed and taught virtually by NYU Steinhardt faculty
- Supportive learning communities with fellow residents and teaching mentors
- Regular feedback and coaching on your teaching in one-on-one and small group sessions with NYU Steinhardt faculty
- Affordable tuition and scholarship support for eligible students
“My students - these future adults - are becoming someone they might not have been: potentially better citizens of the world because of what I’m doing as a teaching resident. That’s big!” - NYU Teacher Residency graduate, Lorraine Avila
Who Can Apply? College graduates with a strong academic grounding in English, math, social studies, or science are encouraged to apply. To qualify for special education, you need a foundation in the liberal arts and a desire to support students with special needs. While no previous teaching experience or education coursework is necessary, a commitment to social justice and a strong belief that every child deserves a great education is required.
Next Application Deadline: January 3rd, 2022