Foster Youth Alumni Ambassador Volunteer Needed
Power of Story’s vision is that young people who have experienced out-of-home placement have equal, consistent person-centered access to their history, stories, photos, and medical information.
We call all of these various pieces “Life History,” and believe it is something that everyone deserves to have access to, but know that foster youth, adoptees, and others who have experienced out-of-home care often lack.
We engage young people, caretakers, and professionals in the research and curation of life histories, provide training rooted in youth-centered best practices and advocate for increased awareness and quality implementation of life histories.
**VIDEO and TEXT Surveys can be completed NOW**
On the link are some current surveys. It is SO helpful to hear directly from fosters and adoptees about their experiences so we can change the system. We would love for you to add your wisdom to the chorus.
Ongoing volunteering is optional.
Importance of Position: Ambassadors will have a passion for our mission to give foster youth and adoptees people back their stories and will have personal experience in the foster and adoption world. Ambassadors will share their experience in a variety of ways, to raise awareness and educate the public about the power of story through video appearances, surveys, public speaking, tabling and special events, based on comfort and availability.
· Video Appearances: Talk about your experiences knowing or not knowing a personal history.
· Surveys: Share how we can serve the next generation better through online surveys.
· Public Speaking: Talk about the services Power of Story provides and the needs within our communities, and publicize the many ways people can provide support and get involved.
· Tabling: Provide information on programs and services and build relationships with participants at fairs, expos, open houses, and other community events.
· Special Events: Greet and network at special events community activities and fundraising events.
· Be an adoptee, former foster youth, adoptive, birth or foster family
· Ability to share your thoughts about your personal experiences and be an ambassador of change
· Desire to learn more about + support POWER OF STORY’s mission
· Attendance at 1-hour initial training and 1 board meeting annually (both can be virtual)
· Maintain a respectful relationship with clients, staff, and other volunteers
· Agree to wear POWER OF STORY shirt and name badge at all events
· Other duties as assigned
Compensation: no financial compensation, but lots of benefits (see below)
Benefits of Volunteering:
· Give back to youth and young people.
· Connect with others who are also passionate about this work.
· Gain career experience + valuable job skills.
Volunteer Shifts: Flexible 1-2 hours per week
Commitment: At least 1 year, 3 years minimum preferred