Sales Engineering Internship - (Spring 2022)
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January of 2022 and continue through the entire Spring term and could possibly continue into early Summer 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
Be a key technical member of the commercial team that focuses on evaluating and defining new Tesla Energy Storage Product sales opportunities and working to deploy product against them.
About the team
The Tesla Energy team is committed, and fast moving. We are a group of engineers that sit at the center of business development, Tesla technology, and the deployment of stationary storage projects on the grid. As a member of our team, you will help to shape the success of our projects in various applications worldwide. You must have a genuine passion for engineering products that will fundamentally change the world’s energy infrastructure and must want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
The Sales Engineering Intern will
· Build internal analytical and software tools to streamline the sales engineering process to support large volumes of energy projects
· Work closely with Sales Engineer(s) to complete the financial and preliminary site design for customers
· Work with the sales team to evaluate new market segments and perform analysis of storage potential
· Understand regional energy markets and utilities, define, and disseminate functional requirements with internal business and engineering colleagues
· Participate in on-going proceedings related to tariffs and market mechanisms to inform / update modelling processes.
· Work with prospective customers to identify best commercial and technical fit of Tesla’s battery systems by creating and defining the business case
This is a multi-faceted role where strong software-development skills and knowledge of engineering fundamentals – mechanical, electrical, and thermal – is expected. Besides a rock-solid work ethic and a strong team-oriented personality, members of our team display creativity, passion, and a desire to break new ground in a constantly shifting technology landscape.
· Top-tier academic background (software, electrical, mechanical, civil, environmental or engineering preferred)
· Proven experience in software development to solve complex problems.
· Demonstrated experience related to energy markets and utilities
· Demonstrated experience working on energy solutions for commercial and industrial customers
· Ability to breakdown complex engineering ideas for customers new to storage
· Ability to execute many projects and tasks in parallel
· Excellent communication and documentation skills
· Deep passion for changing the way we use energy on the electric grid
· BS or MS, in areas of Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Environmental or Software Engineering or equivalent functional experience
· Demonstrated experience developing software tools to solve problems
· Ability to develop software in Python
· Knowledge of relational databases (SQL preferred)
· Proficiency in software engineering tools (Git, Atlassian Suite)
· Ability to document software requirements and specifications
· Superior knowledge of MS Office tools (Excel, Work, & PowerPoint)
· Knowledge of battery systems, power conversion, and grid systems
· Ability to keep track of quickly changing market conditions regarding storage funding, product development, and competitive landscape.
· Ability to prioritize and execute many tasks in parallel
· Familiarity with financial analyses
· Professional fluency in English and the language(s) of the assigned region, additional languages a plus
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).