Looking for caring and energetic people to teach at a unique school for children on the autism spectrum utilizing a "heart to heart" approach with an emphasis on the physical education, music, art and functional academics
To develop Individual Education Plans, and other programs to accomplish set goals for students. Maintain information on all students and participate in activities, lessons and special subject classes. Communicate constantly and effectively with students and staff while continuing to grow within the parameters of Daily Life Therapy.®
- Instruct assigned students in all Individual Education Plan (IEP) areas in collaboration with special subject teachers.
- Develop varied and interesting academic lessons following a BHS curriculum based on the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks in order to enable students to reach individual IEP objectives. The lessons and activities need to be developed on a monthly theme basis.
- Develop and implement IEP goals and objectives for daily living skills, behavior and academic areas.
- Present student progress and IEP goals and objectives to parent and school districts in the IEP meeting.
- Write comprehensive annual educational assessments based on daily observation and interactions in the areas of daily living skills, behavior and academics.
- Maintain and develop student’s portfolio assessment based on the curriculum and individual IEP objectives.
- Develop portfolios to be submitted as alternative testing for students required to take the MCAS.
- Complete quarterly progress reports.
- Participate in all student activities including: extensive physical exercise, and other various forms of exercise including lifting, standing, squatting and jogging one to three miles daily.
- Participate in activities/lessons/special subject classes along with students, as a role model and motivator.
- Attend and participate in all in-services, as well as training opportunities.
- Create monthly plans reflecting the schedule as well as the monthly academic topics.
- Communicate with parents on a regular basis (through communication notebook, phone conversations, individual conferences, monthly reports and parent study meetings).
- Keeps an open line of communication with residential teachers regarding students.
- Refer third parties, visitors and agencies to the Director of Special Education for the dissemination of school reports, student information and school policies. Maintain professionalism and confidentiality with parents and others.
- Attend all BHS school events and participate in assigned committees.
- Attend morning, afternoon and division meetings daily.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with Division team members during daily meetings.
- Perform duties as assigned by direct supervisors, Master Teacher, Division Directors, Special Education Director and/or Principal.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or Master’s Degree in Education, preferably Special Education
- Possess Teaching Certification or be in the process of obtaining certification.
- Ability to comply with the methodology of Daily Life Therapy.®
- Must possess initiative and excellent communication skills
- Must be able to work in a multicultural environment.