Intern Content Writer: Black by God THE WEST VIRGINIAN
This is an unpaid internship for credit hours.
Black By God is an emerging storytelling organization seeking to cultivate, curate, and elevate Black voices from the Mountain State. Its medium serves as a political hub where everyone can participate in creating relevant, accurate and culturally conscious local news and information, and where everyone can fully engage in civic life, make more informed decisions, and better understand the world around them.
Our goal of this is to provide information grounded in the realities of Black life through a different kind of journalism; a media platform where Black citizens are part of the reporting process as storytellers and amplifying personal experiences. We believe democracy begins with information. As an Intern Content Writer, you will support Black by God’s newsletter / website by working together with our founder to broaden a steady stream of online content for our quarterly newspaper print.
The Content Intern will research, write, and proofread copy for various platforms including:
- Blog posts
- Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube)
- Marketing emails
- Other marketing and content-related projects as needed
You will get to know our audience’s needs and create clear, informative, and engaging copy. We are looking for someone who is detail-oriented and able to work collaboratively in a creative environment.
This is an unpaid internship for credit hours. The selected candidate will be able to work from home and pick their own schedule but must meet weekly deadlines. We are looking for someone who loves to write and wants a taste of what it is like to be a part of a news team. Upon completion, you’ll receive 1-credit hour by successfully completing the following:
- JRL 442 (Practicum) 1 credit hour – requires 50 hours of work verified by the intern’s on-site supervisor *OR* other internship for credit course granted by other academic degree programs.
- Each internship requires weekly journaling by the student.
- At the conclusion of the internship, a final reflective paper is required.
- On-site internship supervisor completes an evaluation of the intern’s work.
- The intern completes an evaluation of the internship experience.
- Once all these conditions are met, the student earns a passing grade.
- All are pass/fail electives. The formula is 50 hours worked per credit hour sought. This value is “locked in” when the student registers.
Required Skills / Experience:
- College coursework in journalism, public relations, marketing, communications, English, Business Administration, or a related field
- Strong writing samples that demonstrate a strong grasp on language and grammar
- Knowledge of APA Style
- Previous professional writing or marketing experience
- Familiarity with platforms like WordPress, Canva, HubSpot and/or Cerkl is a plus