Broker Intern (Summer 2022)
Everyone wants to work with people they respect. Even better if you can work with a company you respect. We have both at The David J. Joseph Company, and a 135+ year track record on operating an ethical business with a positive work culture. It may sound cliché, but it’s true. We’re a big, global company that still feels small.
Working at the David J. Joseph Company is unique. We offer employment in diverse settings such as traditional corporate headquarters, dynamic sales locations, and scrap recycling facilities. This workplace diversity gives our employees the variety they crave and the exposure to a global business. A career at The David J. Joseph Company is ideal for self-starters seeking to make an impact on our company and their careers.
The David J. Joseph Company (DJJ), founded in 1885, is a world leader in scrap metal recycling & trading. With over 80+ locations, the Joseph Company is headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nucor Corporation (NUE) a Fortune 200 Company.
DJJ is looking for an intern to join our Brokerage Division for the summer. Our Brokerage group is the largest of its kind in North America. We are a commodities trader, Brokering Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Scrap as well as Ferro Alloy Products both domestically and abroad. A DJJ Intern should be prepared to work in a fast-paced team environment, and will finish the internship having gained broad experience in various aspects of Commodities Trading.
We value our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals. You will become knowledgeable in commodities trading, negotiating challenging situations, and understanding the right tactics to build rapport with various levels of customers. You will also learn how to work in a professional environment and have ample opportunity to network with department leaders and other professionals throughout the company.
- Shadow experienced commodities traders and learn how they develop new and grow existing relationships with customers (both suppliers and consumers) to further strengthen relationships and create business opportunities.
- Attend customer meetings and see the inner-workings of Steel Mills and Scrap Yards. Interns will have the opportunity to strengthen team-building skills as they work with other interns on assigned projects.
- Participate in staff meetings and hands-on strategic planning.
- Undergraduate student studying a Business Major such as Finance, Marketing and Economics is required.
- Valid state Driver’s License is required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint experience required.
- High level of professionalism and ability to work with a myriad of professionals in the industry.
- Company paid travel 10-15%.