Program and Digital Media Intern
Position Title: Program and Digital Media Intern (Virtual)
Department/Team: Programs and Outreach; Publications and Digital Media
Period: September – December 2021
Hours: 25 hours per week
The Internship Program at the Arab Gulf States Institute in Washington provides talented students and recent graduates with a semester-long training opportunity designed to encourage professional and personal development. We encourage out-of-the-box thinking and value fresh perspectives.
This is a paid opportunity. Interns will be paid DC minimum wage at $15 per hour.
Note: Due to the coronavirus pandemic, AGSIW’s internship is temporarily virtual, though it may transition to the office as the situation changes.
What Interns Will Gain at AGSIW:
- Program planning and preparation skillsInterns play an important role in the execution of AGSIW’s many events, from public panels to private roundtables to all-day conferences, including researching speakers, preparing materials, registration, and more.
- Digital media skillsInterns will gain valuable digital media skills including drafting and scheduling social media posts, learning how to create graphics in Venngage and Canva, updating the website using WordPress, and updating the email listserv using Mailchimp.
- Access to extensive knowledge and expertise on the GulfEvery day at AGSIW is an opportunity to learn more about current developments and trends in the Gulf region. Interns are encouraged to interact with all staff members, including the president, vice president, and scholars. Each intern is assigned a mentor who is a senior member of the staff who interns can turn to for career, academic, and research advice.
- DC think tank experience and opportunities for networkingAs AGSIW is a small institution, interns get access to all aspects of the organization, to gain a comprehensive understanding of how think tanks run. From the valuable contacts made here, past interns have gone on to work for other think tanks or nonprofit organizations, embassies, or the private sector, or have entered master’s or PhD programs.
- Interns may be called upon to assist in outreach efforts, including: researching potential speakers and event invitees; compiling data for outreach efforts in Excel; compiling biographies.
- Audio/Visual and Design
- Interns with design backgrounds may assist in the creation of fliers for AGSIW events, as well as content for AGSIW’s website, including graphics and infographics.
- Interns assist in event preparation, including: setting up for events, checking registrants in, taking photos, and handling Q&A. Interns will have ample opportunities to interact with event speakers during these events. (Note: All AGSIW events are currently virtual.)
- Maintain Website and Social Media
- Interns may assist in keeping dynamic content related to the programs and publications departments up to date on the AGSIW website. Interns will also add event photos online, draft posts for AGSIW’s social media accounts, and assist in compiling analytics reports.
- Research Projects
- Interns may participate in a variety of research projects to inform upcoming events and publications to be featured on AGSIW’s website. Interns will also occasionally conduct project-based research.
- Interns will manage the reception desk and receive visitors during the work day. (Note: The internship is currently virtual.)
- Other tasks as necessary
- Student enrolled in a relevant graduate or undergraduate degree program or a recent graduate in international affairs, political science, government, economics, or similar major
- Demonstrated interest in international relations and the Middle East and Gulf region through previous experience or coursework
- Strong writing skills, excellent communication abilities, and attention to detail
- Team player, highly motivated, flexible, and able to efficiently handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- PC and MAC literate (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint); Internet-research savvy
- Event assistance experience desired
- Experience in social media (Twitter, Hootsuite) desired
- Must be fluent in English; Knowledge of Arabic desired but not required
If you are interested in an internship opportunity with AGSIW, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for two references to Yvette Pannell: email@example.com. The deadline to apply is August 6. Must have authorization to work in the United States. Interns must be residents of the District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia.
AGSIW is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or other factors protected by law. No phone calls please.