U.S. Communications Intern
For the past 10 years, Worldreader has worked globally to support 17 million children and families in accessing digital reading solutions. In the context of the global pandemic, increased online learning, and growing educational disparities in the US, Worldreader recently launched its programming in the United States. Our Keep Children Reading (KCR) program is a simple, digital learning program on our BookSmart app that can be used at home to complement school-based instruction. We are seeking a communications intern to help develop communication tools for partners: newsletter template, content framework based on the 12-month book schedule, and help establish an online community through a social media platform (such as Facebook groups).
This remote position is based anywhere in the U.S.
Scope of Work
Worldreader seeks an intern to support three key projects that will further achieve its mission. One, develop content for an annual newsletter that aligns with our weekly book calendar and encourages reading behavior. The newsletter is targeted towards group leaders and teachers who support family engagement for elementary-aged children. Two, develop content to support an online community of Worldreader partners and BookSmart users through a social media platform. Three, develop, adapt and translate assets (parent training resources, parent letter, reading tips, and more) into Spanish.
- Create newsletter content for bi-weekly newsletters for current partners, based on the content calendar, working with the US Programs Director. (40% of allocated time)
- Create content for an online community (i.e. Facebook group or alternative) including a content calendar and monitoring the group. (40% of allocated time)
- Develop, adapt, and translate current tools into single-page collateral sheets for Spanish speaking families. (10% of allocated time)
Worldreader seeks a US Communications intern for a period of up to 4 months.
A final report and/or presentation of the projects will be presented to an internal Worldreader committee at a determined date closer to the end of the projects.
- Weekly newsletter, content based on the current 12 month weekly book calendar. Book highlights, Activities Highlights, Teacher tips corner and Parents' tip corner (in Spanish and English).
- Start a KCR (Keep Children Reading) US readers/users page, and monitor activity. Content will pull from the newsletter, and 6 months of a content calendar will be mapped out.
- Translated assets for communication to Spanish speaking parents.
- Appropriate for students with the following majors: communications, creative writing, English, education, marketing, etc.
- Must be a literacy enthusiast with the ability to communicate the excitement of applying a digital reading solution.
- Excellent writing skills with a proven ability to craft program design documents, digital messaging nudges, and presentations.
- Experience with design software is a plus.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- This position will support the US Programs director
- University student
- Commitment to time frame
- Ability to work effectively in a remote work environment
Interns will benefit from the opportunity in the following ways:
- Support Worldreader’s efforts to bring digital reading to vulnerable communities
- Stipend provided at the end of the internship
- Collaborate with a passionate global team
- Learn about international development and the nonprofit education sector
- Give a culminating experience presentation to a group of Worldreader global leaders
- Build your professional network
- Gain valuable resume-building experience