Senior Project Engineer - Materials
The Illinois Tollway is dedicated to providing and promoting a safe and efficient system of highways while ensuring the highest possible level of service to our customers. Whether it's I-PASS, the Move Illinois Program, open road tolling or keeping you safe with our H.E.L.P. trucks, we are committed to delivering great benefits and services to customers.
The Tollway is a user-fee system – no state or federal tax dollars are used to support maintenance and operations. Operations are funded by toll and concession revenues.
Under the leadership of the Board of Directors and Executive Staff, the Tollway is committed to achieving the following goals: increase collaboration with regional transportation and planning agencies, promote the regional economy, maintain financial integrity, foster environmental responsibility and sustainability, maintain the safety and efficiency of the Tollway system, further transparency and accountability, enhance customer service, and maintain public trust.
In support of this mission, the Senior Project Engineer (Materials) will support the day to day operations of the Tollway.
Essential Job Functions
The Senior Project Engineer (Materials) provide overall project and contract management and coordination between the Tollway and consultant firms selected to perform various tasks in addition to performing project management for various contracts associated with materials engineering and asset management. This position is responsible for providing materials engineering support in coordination with various Tollway projects and departments.
The Senior Project Engineer (Materials) ensures construction projects are implemented in a safe and cost-effective manner and protects the Illinois Tollway's interest in all facets of construction. The position also oversees development and application of all material specifications and requirements for construction.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT: The Senior Project Engineer (Materials) provides for the overall coordination between consulting firms and the Illinois Tollway to produce a professional set of contract documents in a timely and efficient manner. Emphasis is placed on keeping projects within specified budget parameters. Projects may vary from construction of a new roadway system to projects for repair, replacement, or modifications of existing facilities, roadway or structures. A high priority is placed on protecting the Illinois Tollway's interest to ensure safe and cost-effective design.
MATERIALS ENGINEERING: The Senior Project Engineer (Materials) is responsible for providing the Illinois Tollway and outside contractors and engineers the consultation or analysis needed for contract related earthwork and construction materials. This position ensures adherence to Illinois Tollway policies, specified design, procedures, and requirements for the construction materials proposed to be supplied on construction projects. The position is responsible for the administration of the Tollway’s research program and will represent the Tollway in outside research and interaction with other state and federal agencies, universities, pooled fund studies, etc.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages and coordinates the review of technical studies, plans, and documentation to ensure that materials comply with appropriate standards. This is performed in close coordination with other Divisions and Departments and consultants.
- Responsible for ensuring that studies are effectively coordinated with appropriate agencies, officials and the public in a timely manner.
- Assists the Executive Project Engineers and Managers and Deputy Chiefs of Program Implementation with the development of guidelines and procedures related to the planning process and studies.
- Maintenance of various, concise, timely, effective communication with other Tollway employees and departments, agencies, contractors, consultants and others with whom the Senior Project Engineer (Materials) is required to interact with.
- Monitoring costs and progress as part of project management for work completed to determine adherence to budget and schedule.
- Provides timely notice to superiors of matters adversely impacting design and/or construction projects.
- Reviews and analyzes materials related proposals for construction projects.
- Designs and monitors special construction and materials related projects.
- Identifies, analyzes and recommends methods to resolve any deviation from materials requirements or problems during construction.
- Directs and informs engineering design or construction management consultants of Illinois Tollway materials requirements, policies and procedures.
- Represents the Tollway as part of coordination with outside agencies, state departments of transportation, universities, special interest groups, the general public and businesses.
- Administers the Tollway research program and represents the Tollway in regard to various outside research opportunities.
- Evaluates consultant, testing agency and supplier qualifications.
- Other duties as assigned or required by superiors.
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering or related Engineering field is required.
- Registered Professional Engineer in Illinois is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of practical experience in construction work for highways and structures, with a focus on materials, or comparable work experience is required.
- Strong organizational ability, time management, good written and oral communication skills and the ability to perform duties independently and with minimal guidance are required.
- Strong relationship building skills, able to promote, establish, and maintain harmonious relationships with Tollway staff, consultants, contractors and various agencies.
- Advanced working knowledge of civil engineering practices and procedures for Planning, Design and Construction phase work.
- Experience in materials engineering.
- Experience in administering consultant contracts.
- Two or more years of prior supervisory experience.
- Certification through IDOT Level I and Level II in Hot Mix Asphalt and Portland Cement Concrete.
The Illinois Tollway is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin or ancestry, disability, unfavorable discharge from military services, age, order of protection status, military status, sex or sexual orientation.