ADAS/Automated Systems – Data Architect/Cloud Engineering
At Ford Motor Company, we believe freedom of movement drives human progress. We also believe in providing you with the freedom to define and realize your dreams. With our incredible plans for the future of mobility, we have a wide variety of opportunities for you to accelerate your career potential as you help us define tomorrow’s transportation.
Ford’s Research and Advanced Engineering team explores new vehicle and societal innovations that require some level of invention before they can be applied to our products and services. The team is building on a history of Ford innovation, including our invention of the three-way catalytic converter to modernize vehicle emissions controls in the 1970s and the world’s first rear inflatable seat belts in 2010.
Today, we are exploring and delivering ways to make smarter vehicles and our transportation system more efficient to improve people’s lives by helping them move more freely, safely and enjoyably. For example, we are changing how our products are made by creating high-quality vehicles in an environmentally and socially responsible way, including the use sustainable materials. Since 2000, we have used 12 industry and world-first plant-based materials in our production vehicles. We also are researching the possible use of tomato skin, bamboo, agave fiber, dandelion roots, algae and coffee chaff as part of our ambitious goal of making our vehicles with up of 20 percent sustainable material by 2025.
What you will be able to do
We are currently seeking an experienced data modeler and cloud engineer to help scale our data management system for our ADAS/Automated Controls development teams. You will have a combination of skills in data modeling and cloud engineering.
You will engage and assist in definition of advanced strategies for managing data pipeline and related IT resources to ingest, annotate, store and deliver data mined solutions across the organization and produce scalable proof-of-concepts on-demand. We are looking for you to bring your knowledge of data systems, big data concepts and cluster computing frameworks, architecting/operating solutions built on the Cloud, containerization (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, etc.) and excellence in Python and Java. We also seek knowledge of AI/ML, data engineering, deep learning frameworks and simulation or testing techniques for product or application engineering. You will:
- Have passion and vision for data/IT solutions to enable engineering of automated controls, systems and related products to work with a state-of-the-art data pipeline
- Research the design of data structures and data lake solutions that enable data-driven processes from data ingestion through support of analytics and production readiness assessment based on an understanding of the engineering development process and its workflows
- Develop refinements to process, method and engineering tool standards/API interfaces that meet the needs of the Research and Product Development communities through an application/awareness of the latest trends in the data/IT sciences to optimize the data storage, search and data processing based on a diverse mix of storage solutions, caching techniques and big data frameworks
- Develop actions and applications to improve reuse and translation of engineering artifacts across multiple subject areas and toolsets through scripting/development and application of standardized data ontologies, including review and adoption of industry standards
- Support data reduction and annotation, including data analytics of fleet and customer data through AI/ML and classical algorithm techniques
- Support collaboration with product engineers to improve how we virtually validate solutions against real-world application benchmarks for quality and robustness
- Utilize expertise in Simulation, Controls, Analysis and Safety Assessment to develop operational scenarios and sophisticated virtual environments
- Evaluate techniques and metrics of system performance, functional safety per ISO26262 and Safety of the Intended Function (SOTIF) per ISO21448
- Develop and integrate to support MIL/SIL/HIL/VIL/On-track/On-road environments
- Partner with teams from Research and Product development to transform research solutions into practical product/corporate solutions
- Be highly motivated, strategic and exemplify a Can-do demeanor whether delivering solutions, mentoring, collaborating or learning with the team
The minimum requirements we seek
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field of study
- 2+ years of experience in statistical analysis (research/co-op/internship/coursework included)
- 2+ years of experience with a language for building applications (co-op/internship/coursework included)
- 1+ year of experience in working with data solutions for streaming IoT devices/data warehouses/data lakes/designing fast APIs involving complex custom analytics for large datasets (co-op/internship/coursework included)
- 1+ year of experience in designing and managing analytics solutions in the cloud (e.g. AWS Azure, Google, Microsoft) (co-op/internship/coursework included)
Our preferred requirements
- PhD in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field of study
- Experience in big data analytics and data server/data pipeline/data lake
- Experience in data science, ontology development and data standardization
- Experience with time series data (e.g. multivariate forecasting, correlation analysis, etc.), decision making (e.g. using AI/ML techniques, etc.)
- Strong background in mathematics, statistics and probability theory as it pertains to the broad field of decisions under uncertainty
- Experience analyzing data sets (e.g. data gathering, data set quality, data correlation, etc.)
- Broad knowledge of AI algorithms and their applications (e.g. statistical learning, probabilistic models, evolutionary methods, reinforcement learning, etc.)
- Embedded algorithms, integration, verification, validation and software development lifecycle experience
- Experience working in a team-based project from inception to finish across multiple subject areas (e.g. systems engineering, mathematical modeling, algorithm development, application implementation, etc.)
What you will receive in return
As part of the Ford family, you will enjoy excellent compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous PTO, retirement, savings and stock investment plans, incentive compensation and much more. You will also experience exciting opportunities for professional and personal growth and recognition.
If you have what it takes to help us redefine the future of mobility, we would love to have you join us.
Candidates for positions with Ford Motor Company must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at time of hire.
Visa sponsorship may be available for this position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.
For information on Ford’s benefits and compensation, click here: https://corporate.ford.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en-us/documents/careers/2021-benefits-and-comp-GSR-sal-plan-1.pdf