Policy Intern (Summer 2021)
ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality.
Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s supporters are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Interns at ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive an opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
The Policy Intern will provide the Global Policy Team (GPT) with high quality research and writing in support of team priorities, specifically supporting efforts on COVID-19 response and recovery, with focus on vaccine access and pandemic preparedness. As part of the GPT the intern will be provided the opportunity to:
- Hone research, data analysis, and writing skills,
- Gain an understanding of the links between policy and advocacy, and how to translate complex ideas into easily digestible content for public consumption,
- Gain skills and experience for effectively operating in a fast-paced advocacy organization,
- Acquire a deeper understanding of several policy issue areas at the center of international development, including global health, education, transparency & accountability, and development finance.
The ideal candidate will bring understanding, knowledge, and academic experience in research, public policy issues around poverty, and international and public relations.
This is a paid, part-time opportunity reporting directly to the Policy Officer based in our Washington D.C. office.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Track key issues related to COVID-19 response and recovery, and particularly around global vaccine access and pandemic preparedness;
- Synthesize relevant research and developments into policy briefs to informs ONE’s work;
- Collate data and produce data analyses in Excel and potentially other key platforms (like Flourish, Tableau, STATA);
- Write articles for the ONE blog on policy issues;
- Request and coordinate the collection of data from teams;
- Contribute to team meetings;
- Additional duties as assigned;
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE
- A recent graduate or current student pursuing a bachelor’s or graduate degree in public or global policy, economics, international relations, global health, political science, or a related field.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, and Google Suite.
- Strong writing skills with ability to collate complex information into short briefs.
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines while performing in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Strong interest in poverty and infectious disease alleviation, advocacy, policy, and legislative work.
- Ability to work in the United States is required.
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, analytical, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative approach and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Takes action and is results focused
- Flexible and resourceful
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English required. Proficiency in other languages highly preferred such as French and German.
No travel required.
Remote work environment. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions of the job.
Are you ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease? Please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs!
ONE is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please visit the Contact Us page on the web; www.one.org/us/about/contact/). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
ONE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.