Data Science Intern
Organization: Doctors Without Borders | Médecins Sans Frontières
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Field Human Resources Department (Field HR) is responsible for recruitment, selection, placement, and retainment of qualified and well-suited field staff to meet the growing needs of MSF field operations.
The Data Science Intern will report to the People Analytics Project Manager.
The People Analytics project aims to strengthen the analytical capabilities of Human Resource (HR) leaders across MSF so that HR planning is more strategic, data-driven and evidence-based. We are applying statistical modeling, predictive algorithms and future-state simulation to HR data to develop tools to aid in strategic workforce planning. We are also developing our talent analytics capacity to examine causal relationships between HR and resulting business outcomes.
The Data Science intern will support the ongoing work of the project by:
- Wrangling large data sets;
- Using data cleaning tools/methods to improve data quality by removing unwanted observations, fixing structural errors, investigating outliers, manage missing data (dropping, imputing, etc.), scrubbing for duplicate data and validate the accuracy of data;
- Identifying and articulating data patterns and trends;
- Analyzing workforce data to support the development of predictive models, building algorithms and training of models;
- Continuously learning and sharing knowledge about new ways to mine data and distill meaning out of the increasing amount of data available to us;
- Clearly articulating how to turn data insights into concrete measurable actions;
- Showcasing a willingness to perform other tasks as assigned
- Genuine commitment to the principles and work of MSF;
- Master’s Degree or higher (completed or in progress) in Statistics or Data Science or equivalent;
- Excellent skills in applied statistics, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.;
- Significant hands-on experience with and advanced skills with statistical packages such as R;
- Significant hands-on experience with and advanced skills in Python;
- Intermediate to expert skills in MS Excel & PowerBI;
- Superior attention to detail;
- Comfortable with unstructured, distributed data;
- Familiarity with future-state simulation, decision tree analysis, machine learning, deep learning, predictive analytics, neural networks and data engineering;
- An interest or background in HR Analytics, Strategic Workforce Planning or People Analytics;
- A passion and enthusiasm for data science.
No phone calls or emails please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note that neither relocation assistance nor visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
Your Safety Matters: Vaccination and booster against COVID-19 is a requirement at MSF - USA
Hybrid work opportunity/working remote is possible
Equal Employment Opportunity and Non-Discrimination:
MSF-USA is committed to building a diverse, unbiased, and inclusive workforce. MSF-USA is an equal opportunity employer; we recruit, hire, train, promote, develop, and provide other conditions of employment without regard to a person’s gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other differences consistent with applicable laws. This includes providing reasonable accommodation for disabilities, or religious beliefs and practices. Members of communities historically underrepresented in the Humanitarian Aid sector are encouraged to apply.
If you have a disability of some kind and are interested in applying for employment and need special accommodations to use our website to apply for a position, please contact Human Resources by emailing us: email@example.com. Reasonable accommodation requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.