MENTAL HEALTH TECHNICIAN
MENTAL HEALTH TECH SUMMARY:
Under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse, provides a wide variety of direct patient care to mentally ill or emotionally disturbed patients consistent with the multidisciplinary plan of care.
MENTAL HEALTH TECH DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provide direct patient care which includes, but is not limited to:
- Patient rounds and level of observation monitoring, reporting and documentation
- Activities of daily living daily and as indicated in the plan of care
- Assist patients during meal times, observe intake, report to Registered Nurse and follow program guidelines regarding nutritional habits.
- Participate in individualized patient treatment team conferences as appropriate
- Implement interventions of individualized plans of care for assigned patients
- Evaluate and communicate the patient’s response to care provided.
- Assist with admissions, discharges, and transfer of patients in a timely and thorough manner completing all necessary documentation and obtaining signatures.
- Perform physical appraisals with another staff at admission and per physician order to ensure patient safety
- Identify verbal and non-verbal cues for potential aggressive behavior and apply de-escalation techniques to the situation.
- Provide verbal de-escalation and limit setting in a therapeutic and consistent manner on patient’s behavior within program and age-specific guidelines.
- Participate in restrictive interventions as ordered by a physician and/or trained RN and under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse
- Assist in applying protective devices under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse.
- Facilitate group programming as assigned
- Demonstrate service excellence when providing patient care and/or interacting with support persons/agencies in person or over the telephone
- Escort patients and monitor patients in transit in the hospital and to/from the court.
- Participate in maintaining a safe and clean environment for patients and staff
- Complete appropriate records, forms, equipment, and services as indicated.
- Initiate CPR and assist in emergency situations.
- Attend all mandatory staff meetings and trainings as assigned
- Participate in staff educational offerings as appropriate
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
MENTAL HEALTH TECH REQUIREMENTS:
- High school or equivalent required,
- Minimum 1 year previous experience working in psychiatric unit preferred
- Patient, flexible and able to deal with demanding situations
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- CPI training completed within 30 days of hire
- Recipient Rights training completed within 30 days of hire
- BLS certification within 30 days of hire
- Expected to float or be pulled to any Behavioral Health area as needed.
- Successful completion of the in-house hospital orientation.
- Potential for participation in the physical component of some restrictive interventions
- Physical ability to lift, turn or position patients and assist in the restraint of patients when necessary.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under his supervision. The use of an expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty and may be asked to perform other related duties as assigned by their supervisor.