PTS College Intern, Communications
The City of Santa Clarita is committed to providing a challenging and meaningful work experience for college students. The City offers unique opportunities for students to gain hands-on and in-depth experience in a variety of disciplines related to local, regional, state, and federal government operations. We provide real world work assignments, which provide interns the opportunity to work side-by-side with professional City staff committed to teamwork and providing superior municipal services to the community of Santa Clarita.
The chosen candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to projects related to developing comprehensive communications and marketing plans for City events, including the Concerts in the Park, Marathon, as well as conduct public outreach for City programs and initiatives through graphic design, social media, and public relations work.
SALARY: $16.03 - $25.66/hour
OPENING DATE: 04/09/2021
CLOSING DATE: 04/23/2021
Up to 40 hours per week is preferred. The anticipated duration of the internship is approximately one year (May 2021 to May 2022).
DESCRIPTION/DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyze and evaluate the performance of content on the City's various social media accounts, an develop an analytics dashboard to measure growth
- Create storyboards and graphics for print social media in support of the City's social media standards
- Prepare images for social media, flyers, advertisements and web banners; revise and update design layouts
- Assist with creation of promotional ideas, research activities, and press initiatives for groundbreakings, ribbon cuttings, special events, and the annual State of the City luncheon
- Identify, catalog, and archive historical documents, media files, books, newspaper clippings and historical materials pertinent to the history of Santa Clarita
- Assist with copy writing/proofing, maintenance of social media calendar, and community calendar
Education and Experience
If you are currently an undergraduate student, graduate student, or recent graduate with a field of study of Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, Graphic Design, English, RTVF, or a related field, and are interested in gaining meaningful hands-on work experience at the local government level, this opportunity may be for you.
THE FOLLOWING SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES ARE HIGHLY DESIRABLE:
- Excellent oral and written communications
- Excellent customer services and presentation skills
- Flexibility and ability to handle multiple priorities
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Strong social media skills, including proficient use of Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to foster effective working relationships with all levels of staff and the community
- Valid Class C California Driver's License
To apply for this position, a City application must be completed online and all employment information must be provided on the application. Providing a resume is not a substitute for completing this section of the application. Applications left incomplete or with a reference to attachments may be rejected.
The City of Santa Clarita is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information and to apply online, please visit www.santa-clarita.com.
A fully completed online City application form is required to apply for this position until closing on April 23, 2021.