Business Services Engineer | Transportation Engineer 3
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is eager to hire an experienced engineer to serve as the Business Services Engineer for our Puget Sound Gateway Program in Seattle. This position will play a key role in this multibillion-dollar program and will serve as a subject matter expert responsible for the accountability of public resources, integrity of financial program activities, and other project engineering members and tasks needed for the successful delivery of the program.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Business Services Engineer will:
- Serve as the subject matter expert for a multitude of business service activities.
- Be responsible for successful management of the complex responsibilities of the Business Services team, including verifying invoicing practices comply with applicable policies and regulations.
- Verify appropriate charges of consultant wage rates, overhead, and profit percentages.
- Clearly communicate with various local, state, federal, and external groups and serve as the program representative during internal and external audits.
- Review, edit, and confirm technical accuracy of Invoice Procedures manual in addition to providing training to project staff on updates to the procedure.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of sales tax tracking and reporting method for the program.
- Coordinate with project staff to verify and track sales tax paid to individual local jurisdictions.
- Provide sales tax reports and information to project staff, WSDOT executives, and other committee members.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- One (1) year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 2, Transportation Planning Specialist 2, or equivalent experience; AND
- Three (3) years of experience in business practices, construction management, or related field; AND
- One (1) year of supervisory experience
In addition to:
- Current unrestricted Driver’s License
- Knowledge of State and Federal wage regulations.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products such as Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of government contracting and payment processes.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT) Certification or other related post high school training
- Three (3) years of supervisory experience
- Experience in sales tax applications
- Working knowledge of engineering principles, method, and practices.
- Knowledge of WSDOT invoicing procedures.
- The information provided on your application profile, any supplemental material attached to your application, and the responses to the supplemental questions will be used to determine qualifications for interview selection. Therefore, it is to your advantage that your application packet be completed in as much detail as possible.
- The listed salary includes the Legislative approved King County Premium.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available to staff, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Tuition Assistance – Our employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further details your experience and indicates why you believe you are the best candidate for this role.
- Contact information to be included in the “References” section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-NWR-80515 in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.