Graduate Student Employee for Substance Misuse Prevention (Health and Wellness Promotion)
Average Hours/Week: 20 hours/week
Position Dates: Approximately January 3, 2022 through January 3, 2023; renewable after year 1
Supervisor: Danielle Wolfe, Assistant Program Director for Substance Misuse Prevention
The graduate student employee for substance misuse prevention will support the Office of Health and Wellness Promotion in efforts to enhance the health and wellbeing of IUPUI students by preventing and responding to issues of alcohol and other drug misuse. The graduate student employee will work closely with office staff, and report directly to the Assistant Program Director.
Essential Job Responsibilities
BASICS Program Interventions and Support
- Facilitate BASICS interventions (Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students), which are one-on-one prevention and early intervention sessions to address drug use and high-risk drinking among indicated students.
- Collect, enter, and evaluate student educational data related to alcohol/drug interventions, and implement privacy measures to protect student data under FERPA specifications.
- Manage program database and scheduling software.
- Participate in ongoing professional development, training, and performance evaluations related to motivational interviewing, alcohol and drug abuse screening, brief intervention, and referral.
- Record and submit client notes, and collaborate with the Assistant Program Director on case management.
Perspectives Group Alcohol Sanction Training and Facilitation
- Co-facilitate 3-hour group alcohol sanction class for the Perspectives program.
- Send reminder emails to students signed up for the program.
- Print and collate participant clipboard packets and completion letters.
- Track completion data and produce evaluation reports.
- Assist in training of practicum students to co-facilitate group alcohol sanction class.
Assist with Outreach Events and Awareness Campaigns
- Occasionally represent the office at resource tables, health fairs, and marketing outreach campaigns
- Actively participate in marketing of Health and Wellness services, programs, and events.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Assist the Office of Health and Wellness Promotion with additional duties as needed, and collaborate with current or future grant-funded initiatives related to alcohol and other drug abuse prevention at IUPUI.
The graduate student employee must demonstrate:
- Knowledge of and commitment to a holistic approach to wellness and health, including: alcohol and other drug use/abuse, sexual assault prevention, sexual health, stress management, mental health, nutrition/fitness, etc.
- Commitment to team work
- The ability to work independently and consult when appropriate
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking
- Skills in multi-tasking, organization, and prioritization of project tasks
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Gained in this Role:
As a result of employment, the team member will be able to demonstrate each of the IUPUI+ Learning Profiles.