Software Engineer Intern
Would you enjoy contributing to core technology that provides value to the top Fortune 500 companies?
Are you excited about writing code and experimenting on software systems?
Join our Data Engineering team
The Data Experience Team (DX) owns and operates the Big Data systems that collect, process, aggregate and store Akamai data for the purposes of log delivery, analytics, reporting and visualization. DX systems currently receive over 7PB/day of data and process over 5 trillion records per day. Data engineering teams within DX are responsible for designing, developing and maintaining Big Data applications
Join our top-rated intern & co-op programs
As a participant in our programs, you will gain valuable experience and make contributions through meaningful project work. You will have the opportunity to join us for trainings, networking events, and engagements with company leadership. Our 12-week intern program starts in May, and our 6-month co-op program starts in January or July.
Work on scaling our world-renowned load testing platform
With our team you will possess a passion to create core technology to deliver a secure, accelerated experience to enterprise customers. This intern will work with our backend Java team. Students that are a fit for this team will have an interest in Java, excellent problem-solving skills, and a desire to work on a close-knit, collaborative team to solve creative problems.
As a Software Engineer Intern, you will be responsible for:
- Engaging in the software development process and lifecycle at Akamai on the Data Experience Team
- Developing production code to be used as a part of Akamai products
- Adhering to our test driven development practices
- Providing support and maintenance on existing applications
Do what you love
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be currently pursuing a Bachelor's in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- Be able to work 40 hours per week and returning to school after completion of the internship
- Have a good understanding of Java and Java concurrency concepts.
- Have experience with SQL (nice to have)
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
Work in a way that works for you
We recognize that everyone is different and that the way in which people want to work and deliver at their best is different for everyone too. We are happy to discuss flexible working options in this role, please discuss your requirements with the recruiter when you apply.
Working with us
At Akamai, we're curious, innovative, collaborative and tenacious. We celebrate diversity of thought and we hold an unwavering belief that we can make a meaningful difference. Our teams use their global perspectives to put customers at the forefront of everything they do, so if you are people-centric, you'll thrive here.
Through our intern and co-op programs we will provide you with opportunities to grow, flourish, and achieve great things. Financial benefits offered to interns and co-ops, including a 401k and health insurance, are offered through our managed service provider (MSP). Students also gain the following benefits directly from our programs:
- Career development trainings
- Visibility into senior leadership through Fireside Chats
- Networking and social events with an international intern cohort
- Final project showcase presented to the company
- Fun perks including Akamai branded merchandise
Innovating on a global scale, we deliver our customers a fast, smart and secure intelligent edge platform. Working against a backdrop of digital collaboration, our highly skilled teams build progressive solutions that have the scope to transform entertainment, business, and life in ways that we have yet to imagine.
Are you seeking an opportunity to learn and make a real impact in a global technology company? Come join us and learn with a team of people who will challenge and inspire you! By the end of your assignment, you will gain a network of encouraging colleagues ready to support you in your studies and beyond.