Data Engineering Intern
ABOUT NEW YORK CITY CYBER COMMAND
New York City Cyber Command (NYC3) is committed to protecting City systems that provide vital services to New Yorkers from cyber threats, and helping residents become safer in their digital lives.
As the organization defending the largest municipality in the country, NYC3 is charged with directing citywide incident response, setting citywide cybersecurity policies and standards and working with city agencies to strengthen their cyber defenses.
NYC3’s Security Sciences Division is seeking a motivated Software Engineering Intern to support our Data Science Team during the summer 2020 term. The Data Science Team designs, builds, and implements systems that ingest, normalize, correlate, analyze, and present cybersecurity relevant data from across the City to support threat management activities.
Under the supervision of the Chief Data Engineer, the Software Engineering Intern (Data) will help develop a secure, scalable, and cloud-native data processing frameworks that supports NYC3’s cybersecurity mission. Duties and activities of this position may include:
- Support the development, assessment, and optimization of the data pipeline using Java, Python, Apache Beam and other data processing technologies
- Assist Data Engineers with performing code review, quality assurance (QA) testing, and implementation of performance improvements across the pipeline and data parsers
- Work with Data Engineers to write and test Java scripts to parse security logs from new data sources
- Maintain information exchanges through publish, subscribe, and alert functions that enable users to send and receive critical information as required
- Assist with the research and development of new data science and machine learning approaches to cybersecurity challenges
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
All candidates must be enrolled in a degree bearing program at an accredited institution.
- Pursuing a degree or coursework in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Analytics, Information Technology, Information Systems, Cybersecurity, or similar area
Students pursuing non-technical degrees who have demonstrated knowledge in computer engineering, data science, or analytics are encouraged to apply
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages, preferably Java
- Understanding of data structures, data modeling, and software architecture
- Familiarity with distributed data processing frameworks is a plus
- Familiarity with machine learning techniques and machine learning toolkits (R, scikit-learn, etc.) is a plus
- Familiarity with the CI/CD process is a plus
- Self-motivated with a commitment to learning and continuous improvement
Due to the current COVID-19 crisis, this opportunity will be remote and unpaid.
Summer Internships are full time internships for students in degree bearing programs at an accredited institution. This classification of interns must show either proof of their university giving academic credit, or funding from their university or an authorized 3rd party.
The length of the internship cannot exceed 13 weeks and must take place between the start of June and the end of August. Students are required to work a minimum of 17 hours per week.
NYC3 will provide equipment for this internship period. The students will be required to have their own internet connectivity.