Software Engineer - Mathematical Modeling
We are looking for a ‘Software Engineer - Mathematical Modeling’ with a serious commitment to energy systems modeling to join our team in Boulder, CO. If you want to help shape a new future of a cleaner and more cost-effective energy supply and work with an industry-leading software company with dedicated and talented people who are passionate about our future, this could be a great fit.
Ascend Analytics is an innovative “green tech” software and consulting company focused on energy analytics that are transforming the electric grid to renewables. Ascend's solutions provide the analytics to support critical power supply decisions from operating strategies over the next hour, to hedging and budgeting decisions over the next five years, to long-term investment and resource planning decisions over the next thirty years.
For more information, visit www.ascendanalytics.com.
As a Software Engineer at Ascend Analytics, you will be responsible for advancing software solutions and analytics to support the clean-tech power revolution. Your strong analytical skills and ability to develop innovative problem-solving solutions will support mission critical decision analytics for renewable and battery storage power providers around the globe. Responsibilities include prototyping new solutions and extending existing models. Required skills include knowledge of machine learning and AI forecasting techniques. Familiarity with electrical energy systems and markets, as well as experience with mixed integer linear programming is preferred.
Solve complex analytic problems to make mission critical decisions for energy supply by:
• Translating requirements into model formulation
• Implementing optimization, forecast, and simulation models for operation and valuation of renewable resources and battery storage
• Develop and implement prototype models and support existing production software
This position also involves computational stochastic optimization, decision making under uncertainty, statistical learning, algorithms in statistics and finance applications, stochastic search, simulating high penetrations of wind and solar energy, optimizing generation under uncertainty, and planning and control of energy storage.
Education & Experience
• BS or MS in Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Operations Research, Economics, or Power Systems
Preferred Skills & Knowledge
• 3+ years academic or professional software coding experience in engineering and mathematical modeling with languages such as MATLAB, Mathematica, Python, C/C++, Java, R, SAS
• Financial engineering, time series modeling and statistics
• Optimization, including constrained linear and nonlinear methods
• Numerical Simulation methods, Monte Carlo
• Data Science, machine learning
• Referential databases and SQL
• Ability to communicate with impact and confidence, both verbally and in writing
• Strong interpersonal skills, teamwork skills and work ethic
• Knowledge of wholesale electricity markets
Negotiable based on qualifications and experience. Ascend highly values our employees and often pays above industry average. We offer flexible work hours with a relaxed environment and opportunities for advancement. Excellent benefits are available, including medical, dental, vision, and a 401k plan. Ascend values their employees' overall well-being and we contribute a monthly stipend to any gym membership our employees choose. Ascend Analytics is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please submit your resume and cover letter telling us why you'll be a great fit for this position! Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.