Quality Verification Materials Tester | Transportation Technician 3 (In-Training)
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is looking for an eager professional to join our construction office support our Puget Sound Gateway program in Seattle as a Quality Verification Materials Tester. This position will support the office by testing and sampling construction materials used on WSDOT projects including materials documentation, field testing earthwork, HMA, Concrete, Grout, Geotextiles and Aggregates. The incumbent will ensure accurate testing and sampling using testing equipment and established procedures. This position is vital to ensuring that testing, sampling, and documentation of construction materials is accomplished materials is accomplished efficiently and accurately.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Quality Verification Materials Tester will:
- Perform construction quality verification audits validating the Design-Builder’s adherence to the request for proposal requirements.
- Conduct spot checks of work to independently substantiate the results of the Design-Builder’s Quality Assurance inspectors.
- Verify the materials incorporated into the permanent work meet the RFP mandatory standards for material acceptance.
- Perform material testing to ensure compliance with the contract requirements, such as but not limited to material testing, aggregate, HMA density, embankment density, PCC, HMA plant, Grout and other tests as necessary.
- Assist in the review of the design-build contract documents, final design submittals, and other construction submittals.
- Assist in development of the organization’s project management plan and assist in project office setup of the design-build project office.
- Other duties as assigned.
To be considered for this opportunity at the Transportation Technician 2 level, the following are required:
- An Associate degree in Civil Engineering Technology, surveying, drafting or other closely related fields. OR
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent and two (2) years of experience performing basic technical engineering work as a Transportation Technician 1 or equivalent. OR
- Three (3) years of experience as a Maintenance Technician, one of which must be as a Maintenance Technician 2.
To be considered for this opportunity at the Transportation Technician 3 level, the following are required:
- Two (2) years of experience as a Transportation Technician 2 or equivalent experience.
In addition, Candidates at either level will have:
- Current valid driver’s license
- Ability to read and understand contract documents such as special provisions, contract plans, and standard specifications.
- Ability to work extended hours beyond scheduled shifts, including on nights and weekends, when necessary to meet project deadlines.
- Working knowledge of conducting field reviews and performing materials testing.
- Ability to lift and transport up to 50lbs.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Two (2) years of experience as a construction materials tester or project inspector
- WSDOT IAI certification as materials tester in all concrete, earth, aggregate and asphalt tests.
- Working knowledge of and experience with WSDOT Construction Manual, Design Manual, and utility requirements and standards.
- Working knowledge of and experience with construction administration procedures for WSDOT projects.
- The information provided on your application profile, any supplemental material attached to your application, and the responses to the supplemental questions will be used to determine qualifications for interview selection. Therefore, it is to your advantage that your application packet be completed in as much detail as possible.
- The listed salary includes the Legislative approved King County premium.
- This position requires the ability to safely operate a state-owned motor vehicle to travel to and from job sites throughout the region as needed. Travel outside of the assigned region may be required for training or other assignments.
- This is an in-training position that offers a career path and on-the-job training. This position allows you to progress upward through the Transportation Technician field and achieve the goal class of a Transportation Technician 3. Candidates will be considered for a Transportation Technician 2 or Transportation Technician 3, depending on their qualifications. Annual salary levels for each position are:
- Transportation Technician 2: $47,779 - $64,285
- Transportation Technician 3: $58,300 - $78,334
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available to staff, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Tuition Assistance – Our employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact information to be included in the “References” section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-NWR-80513 in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.