Senior Construction Specialist
Associate in Engineering 2 – Senior Construction Specialist
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery and Operations Division – Region 1
Barlow Construction Unit
ODOT is following the direction of the Governor's Office to help slow and prevent the spread of COVID-19. Visit our COVID-19 webpage for more information.
Are you building a career in engineering? Apply to join our team in ODOT’s Region 1 and provide leadership for the Barlow construction office. You will work with ODOT staff and contractors to ensure contract requirements are met for highway construction projects.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
- Lead field inspections on highway construction projects. Review contract work for compliance with plans.
- Verify documentation of work methods and material suitability. Assist project managers by directing and reviewing contract administrative functions.
- Prepare and review cost and quantity estimates, test summary reviews and semi-final estimates.
- Recommend accepting or rejecting contract work. Suspend work for non-specification work or materials.
- Assign work to meet contractor schedules. Prepare budgets and make manpower recommendations based on projections and reports.
- Review and analyze contractor claims and time extension requests.
- Research and prepare technical reports.
- Be a point of contact for public affairs staff, contractors, the public and the media.
- Direct and review the work of other crew members. Interview and recommend hiring of new employees. Train personnel in construction methods.
- Review and monitor contract operations for safety. Prepare safety presentations.
- Travel occasionally, may require overnight stays. May work with hazardous materials, in adverse weather, on rough terrain and around construction and heavy traffic.
- May need to be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including holidays.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
- Live, work and play in Portland, OR!
Want to know about new job postings? Click HERE to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and one year of experience applying professional engineering theory, principles and methods.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, March 15, 2021.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 971-345-1967 or email email@example.com.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.