Food Service Supervisor
OPENING DATE: 01/06/21
CLOSING DATE: 01/15/21 11:59 PM Central Time
JOB TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota
DEPARTMENT: Sheriff's Office
The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is seeking a Food Service Supervisor to work at the Public Safety Facility (PSF). In this position you will ensure all sanitation and safety standards are followed and all appropriate records are kept in compliance with annual health and safety inspections. You will complete inventory usage records and purchasing forms; supervise food preparation and special diets.
The PSF operates 24 hours per day, seven days per week. PSF staff admit and process approximately 40,000 people a year, with up to 800 pre-trial detainees in the jail at any given time.
The mission of the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is serving and protecting all in our community by furthering equal justice, safety and wellness. We are dedicated to serving the community with transparency, responsiveness, and compassion.
Location and hours:
This position is located at the Public Safety Facility at 401 South 4th Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55415. Hours are Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. every other weekend and holidays.
About the position type:
This is a full-time, benefit earning position.
In this position, you will:
- Supervise Food Service Workers and inmates.
- Monitor employee performance, complete performance reviews, mediate conflict and coach staff on performance and administer discipline as needed.
- Process payroll using Workforce Director.
- Schedule and prepare work orders for service on malfunctioning or non-working equipment.
- Maintain records that include: special diets, invoices, requisitions, Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), meal counts, employee files, approved vendors, contracts and service utensils.
- Review and get appropriate approvals on all requisitions for supplies for the kitchen and to support the operation.
- Adhere to the maintenance and cleaning of kitchen equipment.
Need to have:
- Two years of experience in quantity food preparation or service in an institutional setting. Note: one year of training may substitute for one year of the experience.
- ServSafe Certification or the ability to acquire certification within six months of hire.
Nice to have:
- Basic knowledge and skills in using a computer to access and enter data.
- Experience providing training and work direction to kitchen staff.
- Experience processing payroll.
- Ability to:
- Stand for extended periods.
- Operate industrial kitchen appliances and food service equipment.
- Manage problems and resolve conflicts using tact and diplomacy.
- Work as a team member with both staff and inmates.
- Read, understand, and follow standardized recipes, prepare and serve a variety of foods; adjust recipes for quantities and standards required.
- Correctly lift and transport objects weighing up to 40 pounds.
About the department:
The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office serves the county's 1.2 million residents. State law mandates most of the sheriff's office duties, including managing the county jail, providing security to the district court, and patrolling the waterways in the county.
The Sheriff's Office also runs specialized initiatives like Criminal Information Sharing and Analysis (CISA), Violent Offender Task Force (VOTF), Crime Scene Investigation, Criminal Investigation, Community Outreach and Employee Wellness.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
This posting may be used to fill future full-time, part-time, and limited duration vacancies.
This position is internally classified as a Food Service Supervisor.
Click here to view the job classification specification.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Job offer will be contingent on passing a drug test, employment history/reference check, and criminal background check including fingerprinting prior to employment.