Clinical Ethics Internship Program
The goals of the Integrated Ethics Internship Program at MD Anderson Cancer Center are:
- To provide an introduction to clinical, research and/or organizational ethics for qualified individuals with a particular interest in health care ethics.
- To provide qualified individuals with the opportunity to contribute to activities and projects of the Section of Integrated Ethics.
The Internship Program is designed to meet the strengths, needs and academic requirements of each intern. Interns are expected to develop a personal learning plan incorporating opportunities from the following four components:
1. Clinical Ethics
- Attend Ethics Case Consultations.
- Round with the Clinical Ethicists in the Intensive Care Units and with other clinical services.
- Attend educational sessions sponsored by the Section of Integrated Ethics.
- Round with diverse members of the multi-disciplinary treatment teams and ethics faculty
- Attend quarterly meetings of the Clinical Ethics Consultation Committee and other pertinent meetings of section.
- Record clinical experiences and discuss them at regularly scheduled meetings with the Clinical Ethicists.
2. Research Ethics
- Attend at least one meeting each of the IRB/Surveillance Committee, the Clinical Research Committee, and the Psychosocial, Behavioral & Health Services Research Committee, with the permission of the chairs of those committees.
- Select a research project compatible with the intern's interests, academic requirements and the needs of the Section of Integrated Ethics.
- Meet regularly with the Clinical Ethicists to report on the progress of the research project and receive feedback and guidance.
- Formally present the results of the research project.
3. Organizational Ethics
- Participate in policy development meetings facilitated by the Section of Integrated Ethics.
4. Academic Ethics
- Participate in a directed-reading program with the Clinical Ethicists. The readings selected for discussion can be related to the intern's research project or academic requirements.
- Attend lectures and presentations at MD Anderson and other institutions related to clinical, organizational and research ethics.
Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.