Working under the direction of the clinical director, the staff registered nurse will be responsible for providing age specific, developmentally appropriate nursing services and education to students, faculty and staff accessing care at University Health and Counseling Services.
1. Provide direct nursing care to patients in all clinical settings including primary care, women’s health, allergy, immunization, campus outreach and occupational health. The staff registered nurse will assess patient needs, provide appropriate interventions, document all clinical activities promptly in the electronic health record and evaluate the effectiveness of interventions. (25%)
2. Initiate plan of care as designated by a physician or advanced practice provider. (20%)
3. Coordinate student referrals for care outside the Health Service (specialist visits, testing, etc.) in coordination with the parameters of the patient’s health insurance. (10%)
4. Assess employee-related health care needs as related to their job functions (immunizations, pre-exposure screening, and post exposure care, monitoring programs). (10%)
5. Participate in quality improvement activities of the Health Service, including systems to assure prompt filing of medical information in the patient chart (lab test results, consultation reports, immunization history). (10%)
6. Collaborate with peers and other members of the health care team on specialty rounds addressing students with such issues as Eating Disorders, Attention Disorders and Anxiety/Depression management. (5%)
7. Participate in peer review programs to ensure the highest quality of nursing care and fidelity to best practice standards. (5%)
8. Lead a care management, quality improvement project for a defined area within the Health Service (such as immunization compliance, bloodborne pathogen exposure registry, coordination of prescription refills). (10%)
1. Participate in Student Affairs Professional Development activities. (2%)
Support community wellness activities on campus. (3%)
Department: Regular contact with department staff to collaborate with healthcare team members.
University: Occasional contact with university colleagues to refer students to university resources such as, Navigators, Residence Life, Athletics, etc.
External: Moderate contact with external peers to manage student referrals to outside community health care providers such University Hospitals, Cleveland Clinic Foundation and Metro Health.
Students: Frequent and direct contact with students in the clinical setting.
Education, Experience and Licensing: RN license in the State of Ohio. Bachelor's degree and 0 years of experience OR Associate's degree and 4 years of experience OR High school and 8 years of experience.
1. Possess clinical nursing experience in direct patient care.
2. Provide age appropriate care for the population(s) served. Identify and respond effectively to the unique needs of each population.
3. Provide care in a manner which enhances patient satisfaction and respects all aspects of an individual patient’s identity.
4. Experience using an electronic health record to document all clinical encounters. Maintain accurate and complete records; document patient condition, active problems, treatments, medication and outcomes promptly.
5. Adhere to all safety policies and procedures of the University and keep up with new trends in nursing safety and compliance with national standards for safe care.
6. Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage time appropriately.
7. Attention to detail in charting, using appropriate medical terminology.
8. Active listening to facilitate patient care along with excellent communication skills.
9. Ability to work collegially and collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team process.
10. Dependability and good work habits.
11. Customer service focus and skills.
12. Ability to effectively interact with colleagues, supervisors and customers face to face.
13. Ability to meet consistent attendance.
The employee will be exposed to blood borne pathogens. Personal protective equipment (gloves and lab coat) will be provided.