Intern - Organic Materials Science - R&D Undergraduate Year-Round
What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking a Year-Round, R&D Undergraduate Intern to join our dynamic team!
On any given day you will be involved in:
- Electrical testing of polymers
- Formulation and characterization of polymer resins
- 3D printing of polymers
- Mechanical testing of polymers
- Synthesis and characterization of metal-organic frameworks
- Support other chemistry and materials science based projects as needed
- General lab maintenance
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Qualifications We Require
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time in an accredited undergraduate program
- Pursuing a science, engineering, or math major
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 25 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
Qualifications We Desire
- Enthusiasm for learning new things and performing scientific research.
- Pursuing 4-year college degree in a STEM field.
- College level general chemistry or equivalent (AP Chemistry with 4 or 5)
- At least one college-level laboratory class in a STEM subject area.
- Ability to obtain a DOE security clearance.
- Able to work on-site at Sandia NM (Albuquerque) full time in the summer and 10-20hrs/week during the school year.
- Experience in safe handling of chemicals and materials.
- Demonstrated computer skills with Windows, Excel, Powerpoint, Word
- Experience with Origin, JMP, MatLab, or other graphing or analytical software
About Our Team
The Organic Materials Science Department researches and develops new and advanced materials and processing strategies to meet a wide range of specialized applications in nuclear weapons, national security and industrial applications. Our department is dedicated to scientific discovery, creativity, innovation and practical solutions for our diverse customers. The department specializes in aging science and predictive performance of polymers, synthetic organic and polymer chemistry, thermal, mechanical, chemical, and physical characterization of organic materials, and advanced manufacturing of polymers. We perform reliability studies for polymers with an emphasis on understanding degradation mechanisms, structure-property relationships, and performance margins. Current areas of R&D in the department include: developing novel encapsulant materials, creating new thermoset chemistries for additive manufacturing, developing innovative NMR techniques to understand transport phenomena in polymers, measuring and optimizing electrical performance of polymer dielectrics, elucidating the interdependency of chemical change and polymer physics over long timeframes, creating reversible and degradable chemistries, understanding polymer interfacial properties and adhesion, measuring and predicting radiation effects on polymers, monitoring of reactive thermoset cure kinetics, and quantifying permeation behavior and spatially dependent degradation processes. We perform a complete spectrum of chemical, structural, thermal, rheological, and mechanical characterization of polymeric materials that must perform over 30 - 40 year lifetimes.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.