Wrangler /Ranch Hand - College Student Intern
KB HORSES 2021 Internship Program
Heber City, Utah
KB HORSES is an upscale, boutique ranch located on a 2,200-acre private, gated residential community called Red Ledges in the beautiful Heber Valley of northern Utah, about 20-minutes southeast of Park City, the site of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games. We own all 47 of the horses used in our business. They are our priority. This ensures the human and horse interaction is a positive one, allowing us to boast a five-star rating on every social media rating site. Our trail rides are guided and private, not the typical string of horses riding nose to tail. We encourage riders to be participants with their horses, not just passengers on their backs by conducting a brief verbal introduction where we discuss the nature of horses with our guests followed by a comprehensive riding lesson where we teach halt, forward, backward, left and right turns and a one-rein stop. We have two teams of Clydesdales who pull our hand-made wagon on scenic tours of the beautiful Heber Valley and chuck wagon lunch/dinner rides. Twinkle, our 11HH pony delights our small guests with walk-in-hand pony rides, cart rides and meet and greets.
Although this is not a “paid” Internship, our summer interns earn gratuities and enjoy luxurious and welcoming accommodations. The living quarters are located about 8 minutes away from the ranch and each intern will have their own bedroom with a sitting area and adjoining private full bathroom. As well as three delicious meals per day and access to a company truck for driving to and from the ranch. Other amenities include dinner and game nights on the outdoor patio and a jetted hot tub overlooking the beautiful landscapes.
Our interns enjoy a full immersion experience where we teach and coach each intern on all facets of running a small horse-oriented business. Interns learn about how we feed and care for our horses, how to conduct the introduction and lesson before each trial ride, guide and drag our private trail rides, work with our younger horses and assist the vet and farrier. This is a 24/7 experience for approximately 90 days, packed full of learning, working outside with amazing animals, and staff committed to making this one of the best summers of your life. So what are you waiting for, come horse around with KB HORSES this summer!
• Must be 18 or older with a valid driver's license.
• Intermediate/advanced riders only (must be able to walk, trot and lope comfortably on even and uneven terrain)
• CPR/ First Aid Certification (may be completed in Utah)
• Must confirm you have taken and passed a physical exam given by a licensed physician within 12 months of participating in our internship and have a current Tetanus vaccination
• Submit a cover letter and resume
• Submit an introduction video explaining the following:
- What you have to offer to this internship
- What you hope to get from this internship
- What is your previous experience with horses
As a summer intern you will be involved in the following…
• Tacking and guiding/dragging trail rides (dragging is riding in the rear of the ride)
• Cleaning paddocks and corrals, filling/cleaning water troughs and other barn chores
• Working with our Feed Manager to ensure horses are at their optimum health
• Grooming, doctoring, assisting the farrier and vet
• Assisting our trainer by exercising and working with horses during their training
• Maintaining/repairing tack
• Accompanying staff members on various errands, including to the trainer we use to start our young horses, horse buying trips, and educational expositions.
We will provide you with the following:
• Private bedroom and bathroom
• Meals and snacks
• A vehicle to drive to and from the ranch
• Fuel for work related driving (any driving you do outside KB HORSES business is at your expense)
• Shared/Individual gratuities from clients for rides and events you’ve worked
• A saddle and horse to ride during your internship
• Instruction and coaching as needed to accomplish your duties
• Opportunity to learn skills and techniques of driving horses
• Full tuition paid for our Horsemanship-101 Certification Course and an accompanying book