The Greenacres Research Department is looking for a paid research intern from May 1st to September 1st to join our 2021 season. Greenacres research uses a multidisciplinary approach to explore connections between management practices and the outcomes on both our land and end products. The 2021 intern will be working alongside the Greenacres Research Team to provide assistance with monitoring, sampling, and data collection as well as with a variety of tasks that are associated with current research projects. In addition to job duties, our interns are required to complete an independent project during their internship at Greenacres. But, don’t worry, project ideas will be developed with guidance from your supervisor(s)!
The Research Intern will have the opportunity to get hands-on experience with the following skills:
- Sample collection and preparation (vegetation, forage, soil, farm products)
- Ecosystem and pasture monitoring (canopy, understory, soil, forage)
- The establishment of monitoring sites (woodlands, riparian areas, pastures, etc.)
- Data input using Microsoft Excel
- Searching for, reviewing, and critiquing scientific literature
- Data collection for on-farm research project(s)
- Perfecting professional communication
- Research project development
- Improving presentation skills
- A background or interest in any of the following: Ecology, Botany, Agriculture, Nutrition, Environmental Sciences, or any relevant biological science
- A basic understanding of the scientific method is expected
- Interns must be prepared to work in a professional environment, complete tasks carefully and promptly.
- Interns must be prompt, responsible, and focused.
- Coursework and/or experience identifying trees and plants is preferred
- A minimum of 20 hours per week is required but 40 hours per week preferred
- Strong attention to detail is required
- The ability to self-motivate and be persistent is required
- Must have reliable transportation
- Exceptional communication skills
- Ability to successfully pass a post-offer pre-employment drug test and fingerprint FBI background screen
- Ability to work with both internal and external partners with the same or very different backgrounds to ensure that all who visit Greenacres get the highest quality experience that addresses their needs.
- Ability to internalize and reflect our values: QQQ, Grace, Green, and Good Neighbor Policy.
Why Choose Us?
As a company, we invest in our employees in all aspects of their life. We understand that the health of yourself and your family is very important; along with your time here at GAF. All TEAM Members of GAF are a part of Greenacres and live the values that we promote for our visitors: Grace, Good Neighbor Policy, Green, and Quality Quality Quality. Listed below you will find some of the benefits and perks if you choose to be a part of our team at Greenacres.
- Fun & Engaging Culture
- Ongoing training, education, and industry partnerships that allow you to be up to speed on the latest innovations, technologies, and processes.
Greenacres Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.