Journalism Internship - PAID
tastytrade, an established financial media company, is looking to hire a 90-day paid, part-time intern (20 - 24 hours/wk to start ASAP) to work on Luckbox magazine, an award-winning monthly print and digital financial magazine that covers futures, stocks, options, forex and cryptocurrency trading, along with other investment, finance, gambling, political, lifestyle, and cultural topics. The successful candidate will help develop a print and digital publication, podcast and video content, promotional and marketing materials, and a social media presence. The position requires familiarity with AP style and skills in new media, social media and marketing, but the most important qualifications are a strong news sense and a direct, fluid and powerful writing style.
- Work closely with veteran financial journalists
- Pitch story ideas and develop original content for print and online use (including video)
- Curate, schedule and edit contributed editorial and sponsored content
- Perform research and fact-checking
- Social media marketing and audience engagement
- Podcast production and marketing
- Participate in digital analytics engagement and measurement assessment meetings
- Assist in the production of the print publication (publishes 10 times a year)
- Currently a student in final year of study at a college or university, or a recent graduate
- Entrepreneurial temperament and ability to work well within a team
- Interest in finance, investing, and trading (need not be expert)
- Detail-oriented and technologically savvy
- Excellent writing, proof-reading, fact-checking and editing skills
- Knowledge of digital media software (Photoshop or other graphic design software) preferred
- Knowledge of video-editing software (iMovie, Final Cut or Windows Live Movie Maker) is a plus but not required
- Familiarity with social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, blogs, etc.
- Available between business hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m (hours are somewhat flexible) but with an “always on” attitude
- Because of COVID-19, remote to start, so must have their own computer and ability to work from home (internet/wifi). Expected to work in-office during the span of internship if/when the company deems a return to the office becomes safe.
- Must submit three clips that indicate strong writing ability backed by diligent research
- Interns will be paid $15 hourly and may be a candidate for a contractor’s agreement following a 90-day period.