Access Campaign Vaccines Intern (Fall 2021)
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that provides medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Too often, Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) cannot treat patients because medicines are too expensive, non-existent, or unavailable. Sometimes, the only drugs we have are highly toxic or ineffective, and nobody is looking for a better cure. In response to the need for better treatments, vaccines and diagnostic tests, MSF set up its Access Campaign in 1999 to improve care for patients.
The aims of MSF's Access Campaign are to:
• push for price cuts to medicines, vaccines, and diagnostic tests by stimulating the production of more affordable generic products.
• act as a watchdog to ensure that the corporate interests don’t win out over public health needs.
• steer the direction of medical research toward urgently needed new drugs, vaccines, and tests that don’t exist yet or are not tailored to the needs of people in developing countries.
• scope out, support, and monitor new models to fund medical research that respond to medical rather than corporate needs, and do not rely on charging sky high prices for the final product to pay for the research.
To support our operations in the field, the Access Campaign undertakes research and advocacy to raise the importance of the issue of access to essential medicines internationally. The Campaign hopes to achieve sustainable solutions to reduce the price of essential medicines and stimulate medical research and development for diseases that primarily affect low-income populations. The Campaign operates within the Program Department at MSF-USA.
The Access Campaign Vaccines Intern will support the ongoing administrative and research activities of the Access Campaign as necessary to scale up the work on access to affordable and appropriate vaccines. This includes tracking the current issues relevant to the Access Campaign, providing research and analytical support to the Policy Officer, supporting the overall management of data and files, and assisting in preparation of information for advocacy and policy strategies.
Candidates should have interest in and knowledge of global public health, global health policy and funding, and the current status of vaccination programs and services in developing nations. This internship is ideal for anyone with a special interest in vaccines policy and the lack of access to essential medicines in the developing world.
Access Campaign Vaccines Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Participate in conference calls of internal networks' working groups and assist with preparation, note taking, and dissemination of key documents
- Conduct research on vaccination technologies, strategies, and policies
- Draft summaries and reports on vaccination-related studies and documents
- Maintain a database of key literature/references
- Provide general administrative support
- Other tasks as assigned
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience in global health advocacy and/or Masters Degree preferable
- Excellent attention to detail and proofreading ability
- An interest in medical humanitarian aid and the movement towards access to essential medicines for the most vulnerable populations
- Initiative and confidence to work independently and ask questions in a fast-paced work environment
- A working knowledge of MS Word and Excel
- Other languages, particularly French, a plus
Desired Hiring Date
Employment End Date
20 hours per week
How to Apply
Please visit our Careers Home Page to apply for this position.
Please note that neither relocation assistance nor visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
No phone calls and emails please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: Upon Until Filled.
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.