Medical Examiner's Technician
OPENING DATE: 10/08/20
CLOSING DATE: 10/21/20 11:59 PM Central Time
JOB TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota
DEPARTMENT: Medical Examiner's Office
The Medical Examiner's Office is seeking a Medical Examiner's Technician to assist the Medical Examiner in conducting postmortem examinations. This position involves hands-on experience working with postmortem bodies.
Location and hours:
This position is located at 530 Chicago Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55415. Work hours will vary between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. seven days a week, including weekday, weekend, and holiday shifts. Evening and weekend shift differentials apply for qualifying hours.
About the position type:
This position is full time, benefit earning.
In this position, you will:
- Prepare bodies for and assist in, postmortem examinations under the direction of the Forensic Pathologist, which includes opening bodies, removing organs and standing for long periods of time
- Sew and clean bodies after autopsy
- Obtain, preserve, inventory, and release property, evidence, and specimens
- Establish and maintain appropriate chain-of-custody for all property and evidence
- Maintain morgue equipment, including cleaning and sterilizing equipment and autopsy suite after postmortem examination
- Operate Medical Examiner vehicle to assist with the recovery, transportation, and processing of bodies and specimen transport
- Maintain proper supplies and instruments for autopsy and investigations
Need to have:
- One of the following:
- Six months of experience handling bodies in a morgue, mortuary or similar setting
- One year of hospital experience involving patient care
- Thirteen (13) or more semester credits of college course work in anatomy, biology, chemistry, physiology or a closely related field
- A valid driver's license and the ability to obtain a Hennepin County driver's permit.
- Ability to lift, push, pull and carry at least 100 pounds 4-8 times per day with or without reasonable accommodation
- Ability to wear a respirator and other personal protective equipment for extended periods of time
Nice to have:
- With patient health care
- Handling and/or processing deceased bodies in a morgue, mortuary, or similar setting
- Assisting with autopsies
- Working in a Medical Examiner's Office
- Skill in use of computers, related computer software, and information access and entry
About the department:
The Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office under the leadership of Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Andrew M. Baker, provides death investigative services and forensic autopsy services for deaths that occur in Hennepin County, Dakota County, Scott County, and other counties across the Midwest.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies.
This position is internally classified as a Medical Examiner's Technician.
Click here to view the job classification specification.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates will be required to pass a drug test and background check, driving record evaluation, and physical.