Test Cook, Books
America's Test Kitchen is seeking a test cook to join our vibrant cookbook team. The test cook will be responsible for developing recipes and writing and assembling all relevant editorial material for a dedicated cookbook. This includes writing new material related to the recipe development process and repurposing content from the archives. The test cook is expected to come up with creative solutions to complex food-related challenges, work to constantly develop their understanding of cuisines and cooking techniques, and work cooperatively and comfortably in an collaborative environment in which decisions are more often made by the group than by the individual.
This position is site-based. A minimum of 2 years fine dining cooking experience or professional recipe development experience is preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Confidence in researching and developing both savory and sweet recipes.
- Confidence in creative short-form food writing.
- Strong analytical mindset with ability to approach recipe development from a scientific and investigative perspective.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-driven team environment where priorities can shift quickly.
- Self-starter with independence, initiative, and a drive to succeed.
- Effective communicator that is comfortable with summarizing research and highlighting key information in a group setting.