A Joint Commission-accredited teaching hospital, David Grant USAF Medical Center is the Air Force Medical Service's flagship medical treatment facility in the United States, providing a full spectrum of health care and patient-centered treatment to a prime service area population of more than 130,000 TRICARE eligible patients in the immediate San Francisco-Sacramento vicinity and more than 377,000 Department of Veterans Affairs Northern California Health Care System eligibles.
DGMC provides postgraduate training programs in family medicine, radiology, surgery, transitional year, dentistry, oral surgery, nurse anesthesia, pharmacy, clinical social workers, technicians and clinical nurses. The campus includes the VA Fairfield Outpatient Clinic, a Clinical Investigation Facility, a community-supported Fisher House, the largest Hyperbaric Medicine chamber on the west coast and the Armed Services Whole Blood Processing Laboratory.
Under the guidance of a mentor, the participant selected for this research project will:
- Learn theoretical and practical skills to successfully develop an idea, assess study feasibility, draft protocol and informed consent documents, execute successful studies, and write abstracts, posters, and manuscripts.
- Develop technical skills to perform statistical-analysis and conduct meta-analyses.
- The fellow will be exposed to at least 1 clinical trial and 1 meta-analysis ideally leading towards successful publications augmenting their training and career aspirations.
This appointment is a twelve month research appointment, with the possibility to be renewed for additional research periods. Appointments may be extended depending on funding availability, project assignment, program rules, and availability of the participant.
Participants will receive a stipend to be determined by USAF-DGMC-CIF. Stipends are typically based on the participant’s academic standing, discipline, experience, and research facility location. Other benefits may include the following:
- Health Insurance Supplement. Participants are eligible to purchase health insurance through ORISE.
- Relocation Allowance
- Training and Travel Allowance
Nature of Appointment
The participant will not enter into an employee/employer relationship with ORISE, ORAU, DOD, or any other office or agency. Instead, the participant will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE appointment letter and Terms of Appointment.