Personal Trainer - Certified
Personal Trainers are responsible for providing both private and group (2-3 people) personal training sessions to students, faculty/staff/members, and community members who seek guidance towards achieving their health and fitness goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deliver world class customer service to all members at all times.
- Be familiar with SRWC emergency procedures, protocols, and display confidence in there implementation.
- Ensure the SRWC is a safe and clean environment for members.
- Follow the equipment reporting policy for all equipment irregularities, including any that are standard maintenance and repair.
- Become proficient in and enforce all policies, procedures, guidelines and rules of the SRWC in a firm, fair and consistent manner when applicable.
- Adhere to all University of Akron and SRWC policies.
- Maintain positive communication skills with all peers, superiors and employees.
- Attend staff meetings and training. Assist in staff training through direct instruction and/or participation if required by Manager.
- Display proficiency in the operation of basic computer skills as well as CSI software.
- Assume all other duties and projects assigned.
- Verbally review all procedures with each member prior to beginning their training sessions.
- Maintain confidentiality of member’s records and results.
- Conduct physical fitness assessments and consultations to develop exercise prescriptions based upon physical fitness assessment results.
- Demonstrate confidence and familiarity with all exercise floor equipment.
- Ensures equipment is returned in serviceable condition.
- Develop and facilitate at least 1 workshop per semester. Workshops usually last one hour and aim to for up to 10 people in each workshop.
Education and Experience:
· Must have current nationally recognized Personal Training certification. Examples of certification agencies include but are not limited to ACSM, NSCA, ACE, AFAA, ISSA, & more.
· Must have current community CPR (through AHA or Red Cross), Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and First Aid certification is required
· Working knowledge of individual exercise programming, physical training principles, methods, and techniques.
· Ability to create exercise prescriptions.
· Thorough understanding of strength training and cardiovascular exercise.
· Knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
· Ability to modify exercise programs for special populations.
· Strong interpersonal communication skills (verbal and written), customer service skills and leadership skills are necessary.
· Good presentation skills.
· Ability to instruct/teach/tutor
· Ability to maintain confidentiality
· Major in Exercise Science, or other health-related field preferred.
· Experience performing physical fitness assessments.
· Experience in developing comprehensive exercise prescriptions for typical and atypical populations.
· Basic computer operational skills.
· Ability to be punctual and work variable hours necessary.
· Ability to recognize when educational scope is limited and seek professional staff advice for appropriate training guidance.
Hours are based off of client requests and by the hours. Trainers are expected to recruit potential clients at the SRWC and are encouraged to do their own tabling or other approved marketing strategies to promote wellness services and attract potential clients. Many trainers also schedule free workshops throughout the semester to meet new clients at workshops and attract them to our services.
$8.80 (Office hours/consultation/assessment)
$ 12.00 (Private session / hour rate)
$ 16.00 (Partner session or workshop/hour rate)
All University of Akron student employees must meet the designated minimum standards as stated on the Student Employment Eligibility Chart. UA student employees must be 18 years or older at the time of their start date. Any approved remote work conducted by student employees MUST be performed within the state of Ohio.