We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
The Art Director is a regular, full-time position which reports directly to the Senior Director of Design and is based in Washington, DC. They will be a strategic brand manager and responsible for the design and production of the Human Rights Campaign’s publications, including a quarterly magazine, election and campaign branding and design, educational reports, ads, brochures, the annual report and collateral materials. The Art Director designs documents in house and coordinates/collaborates with freelancers and vendors where appropriate. They will work closely with the broader marketing team in the creation, production, publishing and distribution of HRC’s digital and print products. The ideal candidate is a strong creative thinker and problem solver. They are collaborative by nature, a self-starter and team player.
- Provide art direction and design for, and coordinate design, production of, HRC print and digital materials -- ensuring a high level of design, brand consistency and accuracy.
- Design and produce the Equality quarterly magazine including bringing a strong sense of typography, infographics and photography.
- Design and develop election campaign graphics including branding, rally signs, image shares and other graphics for social media.
- Produce templates for policy documents, promotional materials and policy booklets.
- Coordinate outsourcing of design, composition and production of digital and printed materials.
- Bid out jobs with print shops and mail houses and monitor delivery of products.
- Review existing print contracts and freelancers on a yearly basis.
- Assist in monitoring accurate trademark and logo usage for HRC and HRC Foundation.
- Create ads for HRC as needed.
- Respond to requests for art, logos and photographic images.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in graphic design or related area with six to eight years of experience in design and production required. Strong portfolio is required.
- Experience working closely, and communicating effectively, with all levels of staff in a team-oriented environment.
- Experience designing integrated work across a number of different media/platforms.
- Ability to think conceptually and conceive and execute design projects on deadline.
- Proven track record in managing publications projects and bidding jobs to secure best possible prices.
- Strong skills with social media, Microsoft Office applications, and Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive).
- Proven expertise with Adobe CS including InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator and After Effects.
- Ability to troubleshoot in an electronic environment.
- Photography and illustration skills, a plus.
- Creative, cutting edge and attention-getting design is crucial.
- Personal interest and commitment to LGBTQ equality.
***Please submit your portfolio of work in the cover letter or resume via a link or upload separate documents.***
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.