YMCA Youth Development Leader (Afterschool)- South Austin
How you will contribute to our Purpose:
The Y’s purpose is to strengthen community. Every day, we work side by side with our neighbors to make sure everyone, regardless of age, income, or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive. There are lots of places to work, but few opportunities to do work that really matters. Not only will you have the chance to help children, youth, and adults of all ages reach their potential, you’ll be making a huge difference in your community as well.
As a Youth Development Leader, you will make a difference in the lives of children throughout central Texas. You will provide enriching, safe, and memorable camp experiences to thousands of youth. You will help campers gain a sense of achievement, build relationships, and find their sense of belonging. You will supervise a group of campers at one of our program sites in the city of Austin or surrounding areas. The Youth Development Leader reports to the Site Leader and Program Director. This is a seasonal, part-time role based out of EAC-YMCA Branch.
What are the details?
Staff members lead enrichment activities (arts, STEM, college & career readiness, health & wellness, global learning & inclusion, leadership development, service-learning, organized CATCH games) while helping with homework and reading. Responsibilities include supervision of children, implementation of daily and weekly activities, and communication with parents.
- You build a positive relationship with each after-school participant; actively engage with children at all times to foster the positive development of each child and the group
- You adhere to policies and procedures in a pro-active manner, making the safety and care of children your primary focus.
- You serve as a professional and engaging representative of the Y with school staff, parents and children
- You assist in enrollment, recording and submitting daily attendance records and any other required documents.
- You inspect classroom and facilities daily to ensure supplies are ready and the learning environment is safe
- You actively participate in all aspects of staff development, including team meetings, pre-service training, and at least an additional 15 hours of training during the school year.
- You complete other duties as assigned.
What you bring to the Purpose:
- Education and Experience: High School graduate or GED equivalent. Minimum age of 18 years. First Aid/CPR current certification. Prior experience working with children in child care, educational setting or successful completion of coursework in early childhood education
- Initiative: You are a leader that actively looks for opportunities to go above and beyond when caring for the kids, engaging the parents, and better our programs.
- Teamwork: You are a team player with a positive, service-oriented attitude; you work well with others and can establish productive and professional relationships with colleagues and parents
- Organized and Productive: You are timely, organized and able to prioritize tasks and handle multiple assignments
- Strong Communicator: You listen for understanding and meaning. You speak and write effectively. You can match your communication style to your audience
- Commitment: You commit yourself to consistently bringing the fun, being positive, engaging, and caring. You understand the importance of routine with children and commit to consistently fulfill your scheduling requirements
- Growth Mindset: You quickly learn from failure and value feedback in the effort to continuously improve
- Sense of humor: You know how to work hard to accomplish team goals in a fun and relaxed environment
Pay Rate: $11.00
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
The YMCA of Austin provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. YMCA of Austin complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.