Summer 2021 and Fall 2021 Before and After School Site Assistant
Apply at https://education.missouri.edu/adventureclub/employment/.
Adventure Club is an enrichment based before and after school program based at 21 elementary schools in the Columbia Public School District. All programs are licensed by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services Section for Child Care Regulations. We provide hands-on educational and recreational activities for children in a safe and caring environment.
Adventure Club's purpose is to enhance the growth and development of children, families, staff and the communities we serve.
Each semester, part-time Site Assistants are hired to work at our programs. If you enjoy working with children, are dependable, responsible, and energetic, Adventure Club may be a great fit. It is a great learning experience for future teachers and for those planning on working with children and families after graduation.
- Ensure the safety of the children at all times while maintaining a fun and engaging atmosphere
- Interact and develop positive relationships with all children and parents
- Follow the daily schedule of the program and be consistent in all interactions with the children
- Lead and participate in small and large group activities, including weekly Jumpstart Our Learning Time educational activities
- Enforce safety rules and assist the children in problems-solving issues
- Intervene when children are likely to injure themselves or others
- Take initiative during activities and when handling behavioral issues
- Assist in preparation and maintenance of program materials
- Document and discuss individual child behavior or injuries
- Communicate with parents and school personnel
- Work together as a team with Site Facilitator and co-workers to ensure consistent and quality programming
- Know and follow licensing, accreditation, and school procedures to safeguard the health and safely of the children, including hand washing, sanitary measures, playground rules and rules regarding the use of supplies and equipment
- Be familiar with the children’s files [Individual Education Plan (IEP), Special Needs, Medical Conditions, Authorized Pick- Up]
- Know the tornado, fire, and other emergency procedures
- Know and follow all Adventure Club policies and procedures
Adventure Club Expectations
- Shifts are 6:40-7:25am and 2:25-5:45pm at a set of 7 school OR 6:40 am-8:05am and 3:05-5:45pm at set of 13 schools
- Can work 2-10 shifts per week; shifts remain the same for the semester
- MU and Columbia Public Schools (CPS) follow different calendars. Site Assistants will follow the CPS’s calendar. This entails working after finals week until CPS ends each semester and returning in January when CPS resumes. Adventure Club does not operate the week of Thanksgiving and Spring Break.
- Complete accreditation requirements by providing transcripts, evaluating the program, and completing required paperwork needed to obtain accreditation.
- Attend 12 hours of professional development per year. Trainings must be progressive/continual throughout the semester
- 6 hours/semester of training. Training opportunities will be available throughout the school year. You will be paid for all of your training hours.
- Obtain adult and child CPR/First Aid certification within three months of hiring date
- New Site Assistants must obtain a current TB assessment form with your physical exam within 2 weeks of employment. You can complete the TB Assessment form and take it in to your physical exam for a health professional to sign. This document must be signed by a health professional or it will not be valid. You need only do this once. The state no longer requires TB tests to be administered each year, unless you have traveled to a country where the TB virus is active and or you know that you have come in contact with someone with the disease.
- New Site Assistants must obtain a current physical examination within 2 weeks of employment. This can be done at your doctor’s office or at the Student Health Center. You must use the state form provided. Other forms will not be accepted as your physical exam documentation.
- Complete a DHSS background check and, if required, a FBI finger print check
- No one may be employed if any felony or drug related felony or misdemeanor is found during the criminal background check or during employment.
- Update and submit timesheet weekly on the MU HR website.
- Attend all staff meetings as scheduled
- Cell phones should not be brought to work
- Adhere to Adventure Club’s dress code
- Additional duties as needed
- Qualifications: Assistants must be at least 18 years of age and a H.S. graduate. Child related experience preferred.