Development & Membership Associate
Are you interested in fundraising and communications and striving to effect positive change in this world? If so, the Environmental Law Institute (ELI) may have the perfect job for you. ELI is looking for a highly organized and skilled Development & Membership Associate to help us fulfill our mission of fostering innovative, just, and practical law and policy solutions to enable leaders across borders and sectors to make environmental, economic, and social progress. The Development & Membership Associate will report to the Vice President of Development and Membership along with the Senior Manager of Foundations and Donor Relationships and will work to secure the resources needed to meet future environmental challenges. Major areas of focus will be on raising the restricted and unrestricted funds for the operation of the Institute, promoting the communications of the organization, and ensuring donor and membership communication and engagement activities run smoothly.
Since 1969, ELI has played a pivotal role in shaping the fields of environmental law, policy, and management, domestically and abroad. ELI is an internationally recognized, non-partisan research and education center working to strengthen environmental protection by improving law and governance worldwide.
- Assists the Vice President for Development and the Senior Manager for Foundations and Donor Relationships in achieving ELI fund-raising goals.
- Manages the donor database and donor acknowledgement process. Assists with the preparation of donor prospect profiles.
- Invoicing/payment processing for individuals and institutional (firms/corporations/NGOs) memberships, events, boot camps, other special events
- Submits applications and materials for compliance with state charitable registrations.
- Collaborates with finance staff to ensure accurate tracking and reconciliation of fundraising revenue in budgeting
- Serves as ELI’s representative to EarthShare giving programs and submits applications and materials to maintain and increase EarthShare contributions.
- Coordinates mailings of event invitations, fundraising appeals, and the annual report; keeps donor recognition programs up-to-date.
- Assists in researching and identifying grant opportunities and prospective foundations, tracking upcoming deadlines, preparing grant proposals, and coordinating the grant submission process
- Maintains grant-related reference resources and attachment materials including ELI’s organizational information
· Supports and participates in diversity, equity, and inclusion work within ELI and models sensitivity to the needs and priorities of the diverse communities who make up ELI’s broader constituency.
- Other duties as assigned within the scope of responsibility and requirements of the job.
Given the COVID-19 public health emergency and ELI’s commitment to prioritizing the health and wellness of its employees, this position will initially be teleworking only. However, once ELI resumes a normal in-office staff presence, this position will be based in our Washington, DC office.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
· Broad knowledge and experience in: basic computer literacy including Database management and Customer Relationship Management Platforms, word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software, and email marketing
· Excellent skills in: Written and verbal interpersonal communications, organization, attention to detail, time management, web research, and problem solving
· Demonstrated ability to: Manage multiple tasks at once, work in a fast-paced event environment, collaborate, and respond to problems quickly and efficiently
· General knowledge of: Fundraising, events, customer service, communications, and public relations
· Willingness and ability to learn new skills
· Superb attention to detail and ability to reliably adhere to deadlines
· Accurate and reliable data entry skills
· Demonstrated ability to:
o represent ELI publically in a manner consistent with our mission and values
o manage events and projects effectively and efficiently while producing high quality deliverables
o collaborate effectively with others
o effectively manage multiple projects/events and establish priorities with moderate supervision
o confidentially and professionally communicate and interact with donors and Board members
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Degree or equivalent experience: Bachelors or equivalent degree
· Years of experience: 1 or more years in fundraising, customer relations or finance
· Basic training in CRMs and databases such as Raiser’s Edge and CiviCRM or similar a plus, along with a knowledge of invoicing and finance reconciliation
$40,000 - $45,000 annually (commensurate with experience) and includes excellent benefits such as:
• Health/Dental/Vision insurance
• Flexible Spending Account
• Employer paid life insurance & disability insurance
• Long Term Care insurance
• Pre-tax transportation benefit
• Fitness Incentive
• 403(b) Retirement Savings Account with employer match
• Paid time off
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND DEADLINE
Submit an application package via ELI's online application system. Simply click the green "Apply" button on this page. Note that your submission must contain the following uploaded documents (Word or PDF format), as follows:
· Cover letter, addressing your personal goals and interests, as well as your experience and interest in carrying out the duties outlined above.
· Current resume
Applications must be submitted no later than July 31, 2020 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis in an effort to fill this vacancy as soon as possible. You must use ELI’s online application system; ELI cannot accept applications submitted by email, USPS or other shipping service, or hand delivery. No phone calls, please.
ELI is an equal opportunity employer firmly committed to achieving an inclusive, diverse workforce that values every individual. We firmly believe that hiring individuals with varying perspectives and backgrounds contributes to our success as an organization, and we strive to create an environment that fosters inclusiveness. As such, minority candidates and candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.