High School Spanish Teacher
Headwaters School, a Pre-K through grade 12 independent day school serving 530 students across its three campuses in Austin, TX, is seeking a High School Spanish Guide for the 2020-2021 Academic Year. The candidate should have experience teaching higher levels of Spanish and, if not experienced with IB Spanish, be willing to undertake online training this summer.
At Headwaters, our guides nurture a school culture that promotes a growth mindset, a collaborative spirit, a joyful environment, and the achievement of high expectations. Our faculty and staff ensure all members of our school community understand their role in advancing issues of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion. Headwaters School supports the professional growth of our school faculty in order to contribute to their feelings of fulfillment, to provide a model of lifelong learning for our students, and to advance the strategic goals of the school.
Our faculty members are responsible for bringing our Purpose statement to life: to cultivate identity formation, foster empathy, and embrace diversity to bring more peace to the world. In addition, they guide our students to live authentically, think expansively, and create bravely. We invite our students, guides, staff, parents, and trustees to be Peacemakers, Advocates, Creators, and Thinkers.
The Spanish Guide reports directly to our Director of High School. Our ideal candidate for this position will be familiar with and able to teach upper level high school Spanish, with previous IB experience.
- Bachelor's Degree required, degree in Spanish preferred
- At least three years prior experience teaching in High School setting
- Advanced Degree, preferred
- International Baccalaureate (IB) experience and training, preferred
- Experience living and working abroad, and/or native speaker preferred
- Passion for working with middle and high school-aged children
- Strong commitment to equity and inclusion practices and curriculum in the classroom
- A commitment to personal and professional development
- Is a creative individual and team player
- Ability to maintain calm and focus
- Operates with a high level of integrity
- Highly organized & tech savvy
Essential Job Duties/Responsibilities:
- Support students through their classroom experience
- Research and create curriculum that supports the development of the cognitive, emotional, social, physical and spiritual growth of the child
- Maintain communication that supports an understanding of the school's program, develops positive relationships with the school community, and protects the privacy and confidentiality of each student and family in the school community
- Maintain an on-going dialogue with the Program Director(s) and Learning Specialist to coordinate curriculum integration and implementation
- Establish a positive relationship with parents of the community and maintain regular communication with regard to their child's specific needs, as well as helping to develop an understanding of the Spanish curriculum
- Actively participate in school functions, including Open Houses, Parent Orientations, campus fundraisers, etc.
- Participate in a regular evaluation process including classroom observations, self evaluations, interim and annual performance evaluations, and annual goal-setting
- Manage student behavior in the classroom and on school premises
- Serve as an ambassador of the School's mission and philosophy
- Perform other duties, as assigned
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position and compensation is competitive for the greater Austin area. The school offers a wide-range of benefits including generous paid time off, 100% paid medical insurance for an employee on our HSA/High Deductible plan, 401(k) retirement plan, on-going professional support and continuing education opportunities, and a unique working environment where you are able to share and receive ongoing feedback.
Interested applicants should go to the Headwaters School Employment website to apply,
https://www.headwaters.org/page/about/employment, or email a resume, cover letter, and educational philosophy statement Leslie Hirsch, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com.
Headwaters School welcomes applicants from all backgrounds. As a 501(c)3 non-profit school, Headwaters provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local anti-discrimination law. The School’s equal employment opportunity practices extend to recruitment, hiring, selection, compensation, benefits, transfer, promotion, training, discipline, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment. All Employees are responsible for complying with the School’s equal employment opportunity policy.