Graduate Assistant – Data Analyst
Position Title: Graduate Assistant – Data Analyst
Department: The Graduate School
Pay Level: Stipend – tuition available for PhD students
Description of Position:
The Data Analyst shall be responsible for providing timely and pertinent analysis of data to Graduate School leadership for use in decision making and policy formation.
Essential Job Functions:
· Work under supervision of the Assistant Director for Data Analysis and Admissions Systems, but assume responsibility for analysis and reports.
· Ensure the quality and integrity of data in various Graduate School databases.
· Assist with maintenance of the Graduate School’s main admissions and reporting system, SLATE.
· Analyze graduate enrollment data over time and provide relevant statistics and reports.
· Analyze application data in order to identify bottlenecks and improve efficiency of the admissions process.
· Summarize and visualize findings and produce various reports on graduate programs in support of program planning, management, and assessment, along with Graduate School policy analysis.
· Provide the Graduate School with data and graphs for formal presentations.
· Work collaboratively with report writers on producing regular reports, graphs, and tables for the Graduate School.
Experience / Requirements:
Position only open to current Binghamton University graduate students. Relevant internships, projects, or work experience in quantitative fields is a plus. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in data analysis. PhD students in their first or second year of studies are strongly preferred. The candidate should be able to commit to work at the Graduate School in the capacity of a data analyst for at least two years because the learning process takes at least one year and the assistant is expected to perform her/his duties for at least one additional year, when she/he can teach new data analysts.
The successful candidate should:
· Be an expert user of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
· Have knowledge of a major data analysis software package (such as SAS, Stata, SPSS, E-Views, Minitab, etc). Knowledge of SAS is strongly preferred.
· Understand and independently carry out oral and written instructions.
· Prioritize tasks and complete several tasks simultaneously.
· Learn and successfully use new software programs as needed to fulfill job duties.
· Motivate and mentor others.
· Establish and maintain effective work relationships.
· Pay close attention to detail for accurately and proficiently processing data.
· Provide excellent customer service.
Preference will be given to candidates with experience in data analysis. PhD students in their first or second year of studies are preferred. An earned master’s degree is a plus.
Persons interested in this position should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Graduate Assistant – Data Analyst’. Please attach a cover letter, resume / CV and the names and contact information of three references to your email.
Hiring for this position is on-going until the position is filled. Candidates will be reviewed when their materials are received and be notified should they be selected to advance in the hiring process.