Research Associate (Term Appointment)
Discover your future at Berkeley Lab!
Berkeley Lab’s Biological Systems and Engineering Division has an opening for a Research Associate. The Research Associate will support scientists and senior research associates involved in genetic engineering, functional genomics, control of gene expression, studies of heterochromatin, characterization of cDNAs, sequencing and high-throughput production of proteomics resources. The successful candidate will perform semi-routine research assignments including molecular biological procedures, data collection and processing of data along with minimal analysis, and sample preparation.
What You Will Do:
- Genetically engineer and validate the genomes of microorganisms
- Isolate DNA using commercial and non-commercial protocols and kits
- Perform high-throughput DNA sequencing related protocols including, but not limited to, sequencing reaction setup, reaction cleanup, and sample loading on automated DNA analyzers
- Isolate novel cDNA clones through multiple PCR-based strategies
- Query databases to identify targets for capture, sequencing, mutagenesis, and cloning
- Perform general molecular biological and microbiological protocols
- Use recombination-based strategies, including Gateway™and Cre-Lox methods, to move cloned ORF’s into a variety of donor and expression vectors
- Minimal computational analysis of sequence data using industry-standard analysis tools
- Analyze results and troubleshoot problems to ensure uninterrupted and reliable production
- Maintain work area in compliance with LBNL environmental, health and safety regulations
- Maintain current knowledge of genomics by attending the group journal club
- Maintain and organize frozen clone libraries, including preparing shipments for collaborating laboratories
What is Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Molecular Biology or related field preferred or equivalent work experience
- Experience in high-throughput molecular biology techniques including DNA sequencing, PCR, DNA isolation and preparation, gel electrophoresis, transformations, cloning, and restriction enzyme analysis
- Experience with Gateway™ cloning
- Experience working in 96-well plate format and use of 8- and 12-channel pipettors
- Experience operating an ABI 3730xl DNA analyzer
- Careful data and sample management skills
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to work as a team member
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Experience working in a Biological Safety Cabinet
- Microbiology experience
- Familiarity with UNIX, Windows, and Macintosh operating systems
- Structured Query Languages (SQL)
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
- This is a 10-month, term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to a career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
- Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at: Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI) — Bldg. 977, 717 Potter Street, Berkeley, CA8, 5885 Hollis St., 4th floor, Emeryville, CA.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.