2020 Ethel Bolden Minority Fellowship
The Richland Library Friends and Foundation awards the Ethel Bolden Minority Fellowship annually to honor and recognize Mrs. Ethel Bolden’s years of service to the Richland County community and its libraries.
The $3,500 fellowship seeks to:
- Encourage and provide financial support to students working toward an undergraduate or graduate degree and interested in working for Richland Library
- Expose the Fellow to the work of the library while benefiting from their unique skills, ideas, and talents
- Examples include
- Community Engagement Liaison
- Supporting the library with diversity related projects
- Oral history project in the Edgewood and surrounding neighborhoods
To apply, students are ask to complete a 300 word essay that highlights how the applicant will uniquely support the library and the diverse communities we serve. If applicant has experience with oral or historical storytelling, please include this information in the essay. Academic, work or volunteer experience that emphasizes competencies should also be included.
The deadline to apply is by Friday, May 15, 2020. Applicants will be notified regarding their status by Wednesday, July 15, 2020.
Expectations are as follows...The Fellow will:
- begin the assignment the first week of their school's semester (date flexible)
- report to Richland Library, downtown location, for the first day to meet project manager and receive project instructions
- have the option to make their own schedule to complete project. This project is mostly research and reporting based; they may be ask to do some of the task in the Columbia area (at the library or community), and work from home (most research work will be from home)
- not be expected to be in Columbia or onsite M-F
- be expected to do the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semester, to complete the project
- will be ask to come to Richland Library the first week to receive their Award of the first 50%, of the $3500, and will receive the second half at the completion of the project.
You can find the application attached below in pdf format. Should you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly