Goldman Sachs Early Careers | Financial Modeling / Research | Salt Lake City
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
Please note division and function examples are representative of opportunities common for this skill-set. The list is not exhaustive, and availability of open roles is determined based on business need. Specific roles will be confirmed through the interview process.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Playing a key role in measuring, reporting and forecasting the profitability of the firm’s complex products and services, colleagues that focus on accounting and financial planning are responsible for ensuring the firm’s financial information is accurate and comprehensive for reporting and regulatory purposes. Teams partner with business leaders to provide advice on the financial and regulatory considerations when executing business with our clients. Accounting and financial planning teams across the firm embody strong analytical skills, attention to detail, and a desire to develop a deep understanding of financial fundamentals.
Divisions and Job Functions
Global Investment Research Division delivers value-added research to clients in the equity, fixed income, currency and commodities markets. Goldman Sachs develops global client-focused research in economics, portfolio strategy, derivatives and equity and credit securities. Our clients use these insights and investment ideas to develop their strategies.
We produce original, fundamental research and analysis of industries, companies and economies. Our research teams continually identify and analyze financial information, strategic issues and trends that affect companies, industries and markets on a regional and global scale.
- Equity Research analyzes macro, sector and company fundamentals to identify investment opportunities for the stocks we cover globally.
- Credit Research makes investment recommendations for the corporate debt and credit derivatives of issuers in various sectors
- Economics Research formulates macroeconomic forecasts for economic activity, foreign exchange rates and interest rates.
- Portfolio Strategy Research formulates equity market views, forecasts and recommendations on both asset and industry sector allocations for every major equity market.
- Commodities Research analyzes market fundamentals to formulate forecasts for commodities in five main areas:
Goldman Sachs Asset Management (GSAM) is one of the world’s leading investment managers. GSAM provides institutional and individual investors with investment and advisory solutions, with strategies spanning asset classes, industries, and geographies. We help our clients navigate today’s dynamic markets, and identify the opportunities that shape their portfolios and long-term investment goals. We extend these global capabilities to the world’s leading pension plans, sovereign wealth funds, central banks, insurance companies, financial institutions, endowments, foundations, individuals and family offices.
- Fundamental Equity conducts original, bottom-up research across a broad range of capitalizations and styles, spanning global developed and emerging markets. This team utilizes growth equity, value equity, global equity and real estate securities strategies.
- Fixed Income seeks to uncover opportunities across borders and in under-researched markets. We use independent specialist teams for bottom-up and top-down decisions, and for generating strategies within their areas of expertise. The Fixed income team includes money market products, central funding and liquidity management businesses
- Alternative Investments & Manager Selection (AIMS) provides investors with investment and advisory solutions, across leading hedge fund managers, private equity funds, real estate managers, public equity strategies fixed income strategies and environmental, social and governance integrated and impact investments. The AIMS Group manages globally diversified programs, targeted sector-specific strategies, customized portfolios, and a range of advisory services. Our investors access opportunities through new fund commitments, fund-of-fund investments, strategic partnerships, secondary market investments, co-investments, and seed-capital investments.
- Global Portfolio Solutions is a leading provider of multi-asset class investment solutions tailored to the specific needs and objectives of institutional clients. With professionals located around the world focused on investment and services, the team performs research, develops market insights, implements and manages multi-asset allocation strategies including tactical investment decisions and the specific application of risk management strategies and processes.
- Credit Alternatives is an investing platform that manages approximately $13bn of total capital. The team utilizes a bottom-up, fundamentally based investment approach seeking to provide investors with access to fixed income like strategies that are in non-traditional form and generate differentiated sources of yield for investors over the long-term. The team’s current investment strategies include Private Middle Market Credit and Renewable Power. Private Middle Market Credit is a direct origination strategy focused on lending to U.S. middle-market companies. Renewable Power is focused on owning and operating renewable power assets. On behalf of clients, the team manages a range of commingled funds (including a publicly listed business development company (NYSE: GSBD), separate accounts and a private yieldco (Goldman Sachs Renewable Power LLC).
Consumer externally known as Marcus by Goldman Sachs, is comprised of the firm’s digitally-led consumer businesses, which include our deposits and lending businesses, as well as our personal financial management app, Clarity Money. Consumer combines the strength and heritage of a 150-year-old financial institution with the agility and entrepreneurial spirit of a tech start-up. Through the use of machine learning and intuitive design, we provide customers with powerful tools that are grounded in value, transparency and simplicity to help them make smarter decisions about their money. Example teams seeking financial modelling/research skills:
- Credit Risk builds the credit strategy for a digital consumer lending business at Goldman Sachs
- Underwriting designs and continuously improves end-to-end underwriting processes, ensuring compliance with all regulatory laws
- Business Development / Partnerships is responsible for managing business development activity across Consumer business lines. These responsibilities include identifying and sizing partnership opportunities, assessing deal profitability and structuring for optimal economics, establishing and maintaining relationships with prospects, managing pitch processes and all elements of execution (i.e. modeling, deal structuring and negotiating). Functionally, this role supports the broader team through development and production of pitch materials, analysis and sizing of potential opportunities, modeling of full P&L opportunity, and cross-functional socialization with various internal stakeholders. The team works closely with all Consumer business lines and control functions including but not limited to Lending, Savings, Legal, Compliance, Technology, as well as broader Consumer leadership and other divisions such as IBD, Securities and MBD.
Corporate Treasury is tasked with finding the best ways for Goldman Sachs to deploy its financial resources within the parameters of regulatory guidelines as well as the firm’s own risk appetite. The Treasury function plays a key role in the management of the firm’s liquidity, funding, capital, and allocation of financial resources to align with the firm’s overall strategy and to ensure the firm is resilient in its ability to carry out its activities. Treasury teams are strategically focused, have a collaborative nature and possess strong problem solving skills.
- Bachelor’s degree (2017 – December 2019)
- 0-3 years of prior work experience in a relevant field.
- Proficient to advanced skills with MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail and follow-through
- Strong ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Team player with positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong academic record with background in finance, economics, accounting or math preferred
- Experience with modelling and financial statements analysis
- Ability to process and analyze high volumes of information and proactively form and express independent judgements
- Commercially savvy with ability to exercise discretion with respect to highly confidential/sensitive information
- Some roles will require proficiency in R, Python, or similar for statistical modeling and analyzing time-series data